Contributor

NEED SOME ADVICE BADLY ON USING COOKIE PRESSES

Recently tried making some Spritz cookies using both an old-fashioned "Mirro" cookie press and a new Wilton racheting type non-electric ....had an awful time with both...used the old recipe for Spritz which we used when I was a kid that calls for shortening rather than butter.....I also used parchment paper on regular Wilton half-sheet pans (shiny not the dark colored ones)...the dough would not separate from the press and I tried banging the press down on the sheet (frustration already setting in!) - double clicking the Wilton which only made a thick unformed cookie, and finally after each cookie I had to use a spatula to remove it from the bottom of the press.   any suggestion???  not really sure if the dough should be very cold , or if the use of parchment paper was the issue.....these used to turn out perfectly and uniform in size in the past...this time they taste fine but the sizes and shapes are all over the place - makes it difficult to time the bake......has anyone just dropped the dough by spoonfuls instead?.......I'm ready to send 2 cookie presses to the landfill!

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED SOME ADVICE BADLY ON USING COOKIE PRESSES

I have an old press made in the 1960’s and it is not electric.  I make sure my dough is cold and fill the press making sure there is no air pockets in the tube.

When I want to press a cookie, I make sure the press is flat and straight up against the cookie sheet.  As I dispense the dough, I lightly lift the press away a little so that the dough doesn’t get smashed, then I pull the press away.

i don’t use parchment paper, but I don’t know if that would be a problem.  If your dough is chilled and your cookie sheet is not hot, it should be a simple application. Are you leaning the press like you write with a pen? The press must be standing straight up against the cookie sheet.

Valued Contributor

We always used butter instead of shortening. Did you try the butter-flavored shortening? That may help. There are so many different recipes for the same cookies it's hard to find the right one. My Mother did try dropping the dough, but the cookies weren't all the same size that way. She also added chocolate to spritz dough, but the chocolate made the dough more stiff, and the cookie crumbled easier. They didn't hold together as well. Don't give up, I'm sure someone on here can help you.

Super Contributor

I use a Wilton cookie press and have a couple of suggestions.  I always use the recipe that came with the cookie press.  It does call for butter not shortening.  Could this be be part of the problem you are experiencing?

While I’m waiting for my sheet of cookies to bake, I put the bowl of dough in the refrigerator.  It keeps it chilled enough that the dough is works better for me in the press. When the dough gets too warm it won’t release from the press easily.

My press came with a number of discs for different shapes.  I’ve only found a couple that work easily and with a proper release of the dough.  Usually though, the first cookie of each filled tube is a mess and I just throw it back in the bowl.  After that it usually takes two clicks while holding the press firmly against the cookie sheet.  

I don’t use parchment paper.  It’s hard enough to keep the press firm against the cookie sheet.  It seems that the parchment paper would move causing problems with the cookie shape.

i hope this helps you before you send the cookie presses to the land fill!

Respected Contributor

Don't give up on the cookie press !!!   We made these when I was a kid ...

used butter ....that's why we all had a stomach ache...Dough MUST be

cold ....laying the press flat to the cookie sheet .. therefore I agree about

the parchment paper ...Make sure you twist it to release the dough before

lifting up the press ..

Good Luck .......!!  There's a knack to it ....

Respected Contributor

Forgot to say .. to release the cookie turn the handle in the opposite

direction and the cookie should release ..cuts the dough off ....

Honored Contributor

I just made spritz cookies last week, in fact I came here for advice. I used butter and I used ungreased cookie sheets, no. Parchment . My recipe said not to chill the dough, and the cookies came out fine.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I just made spritz cookies last week, in fact I came here for advice. I used butter and I used ungreased cookie sheets, no. Parchment . My recipe said not to chill the dough, and the cookies came out fine.

@QVCkitty1  I made perfect Spritz last year with butter and parchment and room temp dough.  This year, DD and I couldn't make but five cookies, so gave up in frustration and made free form. I even tried chilling the dough, but no method worked. I don't understand what happened.

Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain! I've thrown out several different kinds, but the best press I've found is the OXO brand! I don't refrigerate the dough, and I use butter and cream cheese. Ungreased cookie sheet with no parchment. The press comes with recipes.

Just remember that the first cookie usually doesn't press properly--after that they're just fine.

I make Spritz cookies every year.

Honored Contributor

If you use REAL butter, do not chill the dough for too long or it will be too stiff for the press.  Margarine and shortening will not get too still from the cold.