Super Contributor

Re: My taste buds are in need of a recipe! Scalloped potatoes using ranch dressing mix??

On 10/23/2014 oceantown said:

This is a Scalloped Potato recipe that is famous around the QVC BB. This is a delicious and easy recipe. I like it also because it does not use flour for thickening.

I think you could use this recipe and add your own ranch dressing spices. I have had Aunt Bertie's recipe for a long time, and I have saved the tips and suggestions from other posters. So, this is not as originally typed by Aunt Bertie herself. Her original recipe was typed in paragraph form.

I think you could take this simple recipe, and add fresh diced garlic, fresh chives and fresh flat leaf parsley, such as suggested in this homemade ranch dressing by The Pioneer Woman. I bet it would be delicious.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/homemade-ranch-dressing/

Aunt Bertie's Easy Scalloped Potatoes from the QVC BB

This comes out thick and tasting as though you added cheese.

Additional reviews & tips from others:

I've made this for two using one large russet baking potato in an ovenproof soup bowl. I salt and peppered between layers, it came out great.

What you really can't do is rinse the potato slices after slicing the potatoes; this will remove the starch which is necessary to make the cream thicken a bit.

Place in the preheated oven soon after you arrange it so your potatoes don't turn brownish gray.

Occasionally I omit the onion and add some shredded sharp cheddar during the last few minutes.

Ingredients:

4 large potatoes, or more (russet baking potato) (don’t rinse potato slices)

Salt

Pepper, optional

Onion, optional

Heavy cream (not half & half)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice peeled raw potatoes, enough to feed the number of people you want to feed. Do not rinse potato slices. Do not make for less than 4, as it won't work right. (others say it does work for smaller amounts)

2. Use oil to coat a deep casserole dish. Place potato slices in casserole, adding salt, pepper and onion layered with potato slices.

3. Pour heavy cream over the potatoes until it comes to within one inch BELOW the top of the potatoes. Do not cover.

4. Bake for one to two hours depending on the size of the dish. It should be browned on top, and tender when pierced with a knife.

We love Aunt B's potato recipe! I make it a lot in the winter. I season between each layer with salt and pepper and onion powder or garlic powder, or even rosemary is great. I wonder if sprinkleing with dry ranch mix between layers would work...hummm....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My taste buds are in need of a recipe! Scalloped potatoes using ranch dressing mix??

Thanks to everyone who has answered my call for help! It's strange how something new can taste so-o-o good, and you can't get it out of your mind. Smile

I've gotten some good recipes and some good ideas, and I really appreciate your responses. It's very odd, too, that I personally don't care for ranch dressing on a salad, but the flavors of the mix in that box were so good, I just have to have it (only with potatoes instead of greens)! From the recipes I've found online and the ones here, it looks like as long as you have the basic ingredients and amounts, etc., then it can be "doctored up" any way you like, with additions of ingredients and/or flavors.

Thanks again! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} But if anyone has any more recipes or ideas, all are still welcomed!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for asking this Kitty...I so need some new potato recipes!

Thanks to you nomless! That recipe looks easy and sounds yummy!

Respected Contributor

Kitty, after you try a recipe (or some!), please let us know how it/they turned out. It sounds good to me, too!

Trusted Contributor

bigkat,

We also love Aunt Bertie's recipe! Rosemary sounds like a wonderful addition too.

I also wondered about using a packet of ranch dressing mix, but then there are other ingredients in the packets that I am not sure about. It may thicken the sauce too much, or change the flavor. I was thinking some good fresh herbs & maybe a little fresh garlic would do the trick.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/23/2014 nomless said:

Kitty, after you try a recipe (or some!), please let us know how it/they turned out. It sounds good to me, too!

I'll definitely do that. And for anyone else who is interested in all kinds of recipes using potatoes and either ranch dressing or the powdered mix, if you google either "scalloped potatoes using ranch dressing mix", or just "scalloped potatoes images", and also what nomless suggested, there are so many recipes and pictures that it makes my mouth water.

Here is one other one that I just found on a website called huskerboard.com - The Heartbeat of Husker Nation - I guess Nebraska? It doesn't give exact amounts of everything-I guess you just have to wing it for how much potatoes, etc. The question marks are because I might use a different cheese, and not sure about the cumin and cayenne - I might leave those out.

Hidden Valley Scalloped Potatoes:

Potatoes, Sliced Thin In Food Processor-Leave Potato Skins On

1 Pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
Chopped Onions, To Taste
Minced Garlic, To Taste
American Cheese Slices (?)
Cumin (?)
Cayenne Pepper (?)
Butter
Flour
Milk
Garlic Salt, To Taste
Black Pepper, To Taste

*You Want Enough Roux To Cover Potatoes; So Adjust Amounts If Necessary.

Make Roux:

Melt 1 stick Blue Bonnet Margarine in skillet.

Add 1/2 cup flour to melted Blue Bonnet Margarine; whisk.

Add 1-1/2 Cups milk to butter-flour mixture; whisk.

Add cheese to roux; whisk.

Spray a large glass pan or cake pan with butter-non-stick spray.

Layer As Follows:

Put 1/2 sliced potatoes in pan; season garlic salt and pepper.

Spread 1/2 of the onions and garlic over the potatoes.

Spread 1/2 of the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing over the potatoes.

Pour 1/2 of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.

Repeat process; cheese sauce will be last.

(
Sprinkle cumin and cayenne pepper, to taste on top.)

Bake in 350 degree oven until potatoes are tender; an hour or longer, depending on how full your pan is.