Esteemed Contributor

My taste buds are in need of a recipe! Scalloped potatoes using ranch dressing mix??

I had a coupon for a free box of something called Idahoan Steakhouse Potato Casserole (potatoes in a box). It had dehydrated potatoes, ranch dressing mix, and bacon bits to sprinkle on top. I figured it was free, so why not try it? It called for boiling water, milk, and butter - mix all together, bake and sprinkle bacon bits on top. I think it had onions in it as well.

The flavors were very good, but it seemed somewhat oily and I didn't care at all for the very thinly sliced potatoes that were rehydrated. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that would incorporate these flavors using REAL potatoes? Actually, any kind of scalloped potato recipe would be great, along with whatever different additions you might put in it. I could probably do it "off the cuff", but not sure about quantities of milk, potatoes, etc., and making the sauce part.

I know there are a lot of great cooks out there - can anyone help? Thanks! Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: My taste buds are in need of a recipe! Scalloped potatoes using ranch dressing mix??

I get the Kraft magazine and Kraft email with recipes. But for you, I'd go to the web site and type in what you're after and see if you don't some good Ranch dressing recipes. I'll bet you do. That's what I'd do. You can copy them off.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My taste buds are in need of a recipe! Scalloped potatoes using ranch dressing mix??

On 10/23/2014 qualitygal said:

I get the Kraft magazine and Kraft email with recipes. But for you, I'd go to the web site and type in what you're after and see if you don't some good Ranch dressing recipes. I'll bet you do. That's what I'd do. You can copy them off.

Thanks, qualitygal. I did go to the Hidden Valley website and they had a few recipes, but not one for the scalloped potatoes with ranch mix. There was just something about the flavor combinations in that boxed "casserole" dish that really hit my taste buds. But I only ate one serving - I just couldn't deal with the consistency.

I'll try Kraft and see if they have any other recipes. That reminds me, I used to get that Kraft magazine, but I haven't seen it in quite a while... I must have dropped off their mailing list for some reason. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Super Contributor

On 10/23/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 10/23/2014 qualitygal said:

Thanks, qualitygal. I did go to the Hidden Valley website and they had a few recipes, but not one for the scalloped potatoes with ranch mix. There was just something about the flavor combinations in that boxed "casserole" dish that really hit my taste buds. But I only ate one serving - I just couldn't deal with the consistency.

I'll try Kraft and see if they have any other recipes. That reminds me, I used to get that Kraft magazine, but I haven't seen it in quite a while... I must have dropped off their mailing list for some reason. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Reminds me too, that I used to get that magazine also. I figured they didn't have it any more, I always enjoyed getting it and saved all the old ones! Must check that out Wink.

Sounds yummy if you find a good recipe...love ranch any thing!!

Honored Contributor

Love scalloped potatoes, but I'm with you - fresh sliced potatoes, not rehydrated.

I haven't make them for several years and never from an actual recipe, but U know when I made them, I sliced potatoes, sweet onions, chopped mu cheddar cheese, added salt and peer to taste. My sauce was pretty much a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and milk. No reason not to add bacon or chopped parsley, etc.

Maybe try Campbells website for a more exact recipe if mine interests you.

Honored Contributor

Until you figure out a scratch recipe, use the Idahoan mix on your fresh potatoes. Liquid will probably have to be adjusted as well as cooking time. Sometimes a commercial spice mix is just better than what I can come up with. I strived for years for the perfect spaghetti sauce, then I discovered Paul Newman roasted tomatoes and garlic was just what I was hoping for all that time.

Sorry, you did not say Idahoan. Don't know how that crept into my brain.

Respected Contributor

There's a recipe here. It looks yummy.

Googling ""Hidden Valley scalloped potatoes"" seems to find the type of recipe you're looking for.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/23/2014 nomless said:

There's a recipe here. It looks yummy.

Googling "Hidden Valley scalloped potatoes" seems to find the type of recipe you're looking for.

nomless, that looks like exactly what I wanted! I've googled several different ways, even went to the Hidden Valley website, and found lots of recipes but just not what I wanted. All this lacks is the bacon, and I can sure add that! Sometimes it just takes googling the right combination of words...{#emotions_dlg.w00t} Thanks! And I might add some cheese -- the box thing didn't have that, but it sure would be good.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/23/2014 depglass said:

Until you figure out a scratch recipe, use the Idahoan mix on your fresh potatoes. Liquid will probably have to be adjusted as well as cooking time. Sometimes a commercial spice mix is just better than what I can come up with. I strived for years for the perfect spaghetti sauce, then I discovered Paul Newman roasted tomatoes and garlic was just what I was hoping for all that time.

Sorry, you did not say Idahoan. Don't know how that crept into my brain.

Actually, I did! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Your brain is okay! The free coupon was for "Idahoan Steakhouse Potato Casserole" in a box. As long as I get a recipe with proportions of ingredients, especially for the sauce, I can "fiddle" with the rest of it. It looks like nomless found one - I just didn't google with the right combination of words. But I've found some other recipes during my search that I may also want to try...I'm hungry!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

This is a Scalloped Potato recipe that is famous around the QVC BB. This is a delicious and easy recipe. I like it also because it does not use flour for thickening.

I think you could use this recipe and add your own ranch dressing spices. I have had Aunt Bertie's recipe for a long time, and I have saved the tips and suggestions from other posters. So, this is not as originally typed by Aunt Bertie herself. Her original recipe was typed in paragraph form.

I think you could take this simple recipe, and add fresh diced garlic, fresh chives and fresh flat leaf parsley, such as suggested in this homemade ranch dressing by The Pioneer Woman. I bet it would be delicious.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/homemade-ranch-dressing/

Aunt Bertie's Easy Scalloped Potatoes from the QVC BB

This comes out thick and tasting as though you added cheese.

Additional reviews & tips from others:

I've made this for two using one large russet baking potato in an ovenproof soup bowl. I salt and peppered between layers, it came out great.

What you really can't do is rinse the potato slices after slicing the potatoes; this will remove the starch which is necessary to make the cream thicken a bit.

Place in the preheated oven soon after you arrange it so your potatoes don't turn brownish gray.

Occasionally I omit the onion and add some shredded sharp cheddar during the last few minutes.

Ingredients:

4 large potatoes, or more (russet baking potato) (don’t rinse potato slices)

Salt

Pepper, optional

Onion, optional

Heavy cream (not half & half)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice peeled raw potatoes, enough to feed the number of people you want to feed. Do not rinse potato slices. Do not make for less than 4, as it won't work right. (others say it does work for smaller amounts)

2. Use oil to coat a deep casserole dish. Place potato slices in casserole, adding salt, pepper and onion layered with potato slices.

3. Pour heavy cream over the potatoes until it comes to within one inch BELOW the top of the potatoes. Do not cover.

4. Bake for one to two hours depending on the size of the dish. It should be browned on top, and tender when pierced with a knife.