Respected Contributor

I saw this posted online. This is how my grandmother's recipes looked. She rarely had instructions except for her yeast rolls. They said "work the dough until it feels right." My son learned from her, and he says you know when it feels right after she teaches you.

Often, she had no recipe, so I was happy to get this much.

IMG_0906.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

Re: My Grandmother’s Recipes

I have my Grandmother's cookie recipe.  It's hand written but does not say how much flour to add.  I've been told several different things about how much.  But after many attempts  have not been able to make them like her's.

Honored Contributor

@On It.  I've noticed on all those old hand-written recipes I see, including my grandmother's,  the writing looks like it was written by the same person.   It must have been the way they taught penmanship back in "olden" days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have several recipe cards similar to the one shown in the OP.  None of them contain instructions, just the ingredients.  I was fortunate enough to cook next Gram when still very young so I do remember what to do with the ingredients.

I frequently think about adding instructions so the recipes can be passed down but I never get around to actually doing it.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@On It     That's exactly how my mom's recipes look to lol.💝

Honored Contributor

I tried ti write down my Grandma recipie for passover mandel bread but it was next to impossible since it was all from her memory 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The instructions for assembling standard concoctions like biscuits or cookies are nearly always the same.  An experienced cook knows what to do with the ingredients.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up with my Gram, she was a fabulous baker. I don't recall any written recipes.  I recall kneading bread dough and asking if I kneaded long enough? She said, " oh, you'll know." 😄

So much for Food Network's "baking is scientific, get out your scale and dough whisk"......🙄

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I grew up with my Gram, she was a fabulous baker. I don't recall any written recipes.  I recall kneading bread dough and asking if I kneaded long enough? She said, " oh, you'll know." 😄

So much for Food Network's "baking is scientific, get out your scale and dough whisk"......🙄

Neither of my grandma's wrote down any of their recipes either.  They always cooked from scratch and just knew how much to put in.  

Everything they made was amazing too!   I'm still in awe by how they could take very inexpensive cuts of meat or whatever cheap ingredients and make it taste like it came from a restaurant.💝

Respected Contributor

My mom and grandma's recipes looked like this but usually had instructions. I have them saved in the recipe boxes they used.