Valued Contributor

My Grandma's Coffee Cakes, how to store?

I ordered two of these delicious cakes for presents.  Ship date 12/2, can ya all reply as to how to store?  How long in refrigerator before one can gift as well as when one should put in the freezer?  I plan on giving the cakes the week of 12/16 and they ship 12/2/ who knows when they will arrive!!!!??

Respected Contributor

Re: My Grandma's Coffee Cakes, how to store?

[ Edited ]

I would freeze them immediately.  They defrost beautifully and are DELICIOUS.  We buy the Cinnamon with nuts several times during the year for parties, and there is rarely a crumb left.  I have a friend who even cuts herself a piece to take home!!!

They freeze beautifully right in the box and defrost on the counter (or if you're cutting yourself a slice you can speed that up in the microwave!).

We've been serving these cakes for YEARS.

ENJOY ...  what a fabulous gift.  

Edited to add...   if you are giving as a gift, take it out the day before and leave it on the counter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine ship 12/2 also. I'll keep out enough for one breakfast and freeze the rest. 

Respected Contributor

That's perfect.  I hope you love it as much as we do.  What flavor did you order?   There are several.  We always order the Cinnamon with the nuts.

Valued Contributor

chocolate and cinnimon walnut!  Anyone ever try the chocolate

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, I can buy these at a local store.  They are VERY GOOD and freeze well. Just put whole box in freezer.  As was mentioned, take out of freezer for time to thaw and then give.  I have not tried the chocolate variety.  

Frequent Contributor

@tropics21 these are so fantastic! When I receive mine, which I have had on auto-delivery since spring, I cut mine in slices wrap in seran an put them in put them in a big gallon freezer bag, then when I want one I take it out of the freezer and let thaw for about 20 minutes. The whole cake does freeze wonderfully as well. If your going to use them for holiday, I believe it says you can keep it in the fridge and use in 10 days. Enjoy them as I know you will.

Respected Contributor

@walker wrote:

Fortunately, I can buy these at a local store.  They are VERY GOOD and freeze well. Just put whole box in freezer.  As was mentioned, take out of freezer for time to thaw and then give.  I have not tried the chocolate variety.  

We have a store about 15 mins from me that also sells these.  I normally buy the one that they still have frozen and just put it right in my freezer.

Honored Contributor

I have Lock & Lock containers that they exactly fit in and I keep them in the refrigerator.  But if it would be a long time I would freeze.  They freeze well.

One of my favs is the banana or the banana walnut.  I also loved a coconut lemon one they used to have.  I've had the chocolate walnut and it was very dense but still good.   I also like the cinnamon or cinnamon walnut ones.

Respected Contributor

If anyone lives near a Wegmans they sell these delicious cakes.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!