Trusted Contributor

How do you make Mashed Potato Pancakes? Please share your favorite recipe please. My Mother made these when we were young. She passed away at age 42 so I don't have her recipe.Thanks!                                                                                                            

Esteemed Contributor

Take leftover mashed potatoes add a raw egg and form into patties; then saute 'til browned.  I often leave out the egg, which is just to make the patty more stable.

Trusted Contributor

I would add a beaten egg to the potatoes and some finely minced onion.  Fry it up, salt and pepper, yum!

Honored Contributor

You bring back fond memories for me @kitty4me!  When I was a kid I liked the leftover mashed potato pancakes better than the fresh mashed potatoes!

Trusted Contributor

I use left over mashed potatoes, a little minced onion and egg. Coat with cracker meal.

Saute in pan with a little shortening until brown.

Cracker meal- not bread crumbs. Salt and pepper too.

Respected Contributor

About 3 medium mashed potatoes

1 beaten egg

1 Tab flour

1/8 tea baking powder

1/4 tea salt

1/8 tea pepper

1/4 cup finely shredded onion

Squish it all together and fry.  Top with cheese and melt if desired.

Respected Contributor

My mom used to make them using left over cold mashed potatoes.   She would form them into a patty (the size of a hamburger) and fry them in butter until lightly browned and crispy on both sides. Really good!

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had potato pancakes this way. 

I use raw potatoes. I don't measure anything any more. It's all by "taste"  My Mom taught me the way her Polish Mom made them.

Trusted Contributor

I too have great memories of these. i so loved them as you probably more than my Mother's mashed potatoes since she never got all the lumps out which I make sure to do today. So these pancakes along with her pickled cucumbers and onions were two of my favorites and regular side dishes.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

I too have great memories of these. i so loved them as you probably more than my Mother's mashed potatoes since she never got all the lumps out which I make sure to do today. So these pancakes along with her pickled cucumbers and onions were two of my favorites and regular side dishes.

@kitty4me

Do you mean bread and butter pickles?  Used to love to make bread and butter pickle sandwiches!  Do you have a recipe for these pickles?