Honored Contributor

Re: My Best Sweet Potatoes for Thanksgiving or All Year

@aroc3435, I totally agree, moderation is the key. I don't believe there is any reason not to enjoy the things we like. Life is short and we are entitled to have some fun and enjoy each day. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 You said it all!  It boils down to some good common sense, and helping kids grow up and have new experiences!  Grow up being the key here!  LOL!!

We quit the sweet potato casserole because people really didn't care for it, and somehow marshmallows changes and tended to catch fire in the oven. . . 

SO we would bake sweet potatoes, serve them HOT out of the oven and provide brown sugar, marshmallows, butter and maple syrup for all to dress their potatoes as they saw fit!  Worked out great for us!  

Respected Contributor

I didn't realize that a very slight spritz of oil on the outer skin of a potato could cause the diet police and nutrition nazis to regard this as some sort of poison.  

Who eats sweet potato skins, anyway?

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I didn't realize that a very slight spritz of oil on the outer skin of a potato could cause the diet police and nutrition nazis to regard this as some sort of poison.  

@novamc1 Not to mention that we need some oil. . . 

Honored Contributor

I have tried to like sweet potatoes , as I know they are good for you. I can eat them but, I just don't care to. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I do!!  I love the skin.  Try it; it's delicious!  And, by the way, that little bit of oil on the outside is nothing compared to the tons of butter I put on my potato.  Woman LOL

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much Blackhorse!!!

Honored Contributor

There are as many varieties of sweet potatoes as non-sweet.

I so look forward every fall to the Mississippi harvest.

Vardeman MS is the Sweet Potato Capital of the World.

My favorite variety is the Beauregard.

It's long and a bit skinny.

So sweet & creamy inside.

We eat a lot of sweet potatoes in the fall & winter.