Respected Contributor

My Bake Today Chewy Sugar Cookies

This is a not too sweet cookie according to America's Test Kitchens.  Looks easy and the picture has my mouth watering.

So today, cookies.

2-1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoons each baking soda and table salt

1-1/2 cups sugar plus 1/3 cup for rolling

2 oz cream cheese cut into 8 pcs

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter melted and still warm

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 large egg

1 tablespoon whole milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the the oven to 350 deg.  line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.  whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.  set aside.

place 1-1/2 cups of sugar and cream cheese in large bowl.  please the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar in a shallow dish and set aside.  pour the warm butter over the sugar and cream cheese and whisk to combine.  some small lumps of cream cheese will remain but will smooth out later.  whisk in the oil until incorporated. add the egg, milk, and vanilla continue to whisk until smooth.  Add the flour mixture and mix with rubber spatula until soft dough forms.  Divide the dough into 24 equal parts, about 2 Tablespoons.  Roll into ball, roll in reserved sugar, 12 balls per sheet pan, then flatten to 2" with bottom of glass and when done, sprinkle remaining sugar 2 teaspoons per sheet pan then discard the rest.

Bake cookies one sheet at a time until edges are set and ready to brown 11-13 minutes, rotate sheet 7 minutes into bake.  cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack with wide metal spatula.

very important note, the more you handle the dough when shaping the flatter the cookie you will get so best results happen with less handling, do not overwork dough.

i double checked the recipe that I typed, it is correct.

Don't you think this would be delicious with lemon extract and lemon zest?

Honored Contributor

Re: My Bake Today Chewy Sugar Cookies

@Just Bling I love lemon in almost anything!  Are these the sugar cookies that get big and puffy?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

They look large and chewy thicker cookie, not those thin sugar cookies as everyone knows they bake for Christmas.

Took a break, making a new refrigerator pickle this afternoon, this one by the black peppercorn found it online, i have the regular dill one's in the frig i made last week, these are sliced with onion, put into jars and a little sweet.  My mom made something like these and I remember pulling forkfuls out of the jar and eating them just like that.  Can't wait to try.  

Those darn jars are the hardest, sterilizing them, that takes the time.

then onto the cookies, I have the egg coming to room temp as they advise using any eggs for baking.

Honored Contributor

Being it's summer, I'd say lemon extract and zest would make them absolutely perfect.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely love sugar cookies.problem is,with this terrible humid hot heat I don't turn on my oven.but recipi sounds awsome

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

not to mention a good cup of Java to go along with sugar cookies!

Respected Contributor

I love a good chewy sugar cookie. Can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks for posting it. 

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic   I love your name!!!   Actually for everything I'm doing today, just got done with the pickles and now working on the cookies, I do think

it is magic that everything is getting done.

It's hot here today too but the air is on and I enjoy doing something instead of sitting around.   Did someone say        COOKIES!!!!!

I think I'm going to love this recipe, no mixer at all....whisk and spatula, perfect!

Respected Contributor

so just bling,are you pickling pickles?when I was first married,my hubby bought a pressure canner.we planted a huge garden.we canned everything that grew.best memory of my marriage.just hearing those lids ping made my day

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling! That recipe does sound good & lemon would be a great addition. Even more enticing ... no mixer needed! I hate dragging my Kitchen Aid out. Small kitchen plus DH is gone for the day.