Honored Contributor

Mustard-Mayo Sauce on my Pastrami Panini!

I wanted something easy to make last night, so I stopped at the deli department on my way home and bought two fresh rolls, 1/4 lb of pastrami and 1/4 pound of Havarti cheese.  

I used my George Foreman grill to make this panini and they were so good!  Two slices of pastrami, and four thin slices of cheese on each was enough, and I found this delicous mustard-mayo spread from Ina Garten that really made it special.

Mustard-Mayo Spread

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I didn't add any salt)

Just put it in a bowl and whisk it all together. It makes a lot of sauce. I'm storing it in the fridge in a mason jar.

pastrami panini 2020.JPG

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Re: Mustard-Mayo Sauce on my Pastrami Panini!

Looks delicious!  Just sent it to my printer.  Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

i make something very similar but also add horseradish. it makes a great spread for roast beef sandwiches. i call it cajun mustard sauce. it is also yummy on crabcakes and steamed shrimp!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

That looks so good.  I haven't had a pastrami sandwich in ages.  

Honored Contributor

The sandwich looks delicious!  Pastrami has been a favorite of mine since I was a young girl.  My mother used to go to a deli which sold Pastrami sandwiches for a dollar which were filled to the brim with pastrami.  The sauce sounds good, I'm sure it made the sandwich even better!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

I don't think either of us had a pastrami sandwich in the last 10 years, maybe longer.  I was trying to think of what would go well in a panini and it came to mind. When I brought it home, I got "the look" from him, which usually means "I don't eat that".  Well, he ate "that" and said it was very good, probably because there was only a small amount of pastrami, rather than the crazy thick amount they give you if you order it at a deli or restaurant.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

house - cat, What a great idea.

I have not bought pastrami in quite awhile. But the pastrami you bought looks so good. There is no fat. I am tempted to buy some again.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

house - cat, What a great idea.

I have not bought pastrami in quite awhile. But the pastrami you bought looks so good. There is no fat. I am tempted to buy some again.

It was Boar's Head from my Ralph's (Kroger) store. I didn't ask for anything special like extra lean, but it was extremely lean and very delicious.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Love Pastrami so thanks for this recipe. I also buy Boar's Head and find it is always extremely lean and not like the Pastrami of years ago in a deli sandwich. Those were full of fat and really delicious. I'm pretty sure that the Boar's Head version is more like a beef that has pastrami coating. Not certain but definitely not like the pastrami I remember from many years ago that would have been considered more like a NY Deli sandwich.

Honored Contributor

@QPrincess wrote:

Love Pastrami so thanks for this recipe. I also buy Boar's Head and find it is always extremely lean and not like the Pastrami of years ago in a deli sandwich. Those were full of fat and really delicious. I'm pretty sure that the Boar's Head version is more like a beef that has pastrami coating. Not certain but definitely not like the pastrami I remember from many years ago that would have been considered more like a NY Deli sandwich.

@QPrincess......i know what you are talking about! we used to have some wonderful delis here that served corned beef and pastrami that were so flavorful and it was because of the FAT! we do have a few local places that still have delicious corned beef.....smaller specialty grocery stores and delis/restaurants. some are kosher.

boars head makes two types of pastrami......top round pastrami and first cut pastrami. the first cut is the one that i usually buy because it does have a little fat on it......the top round doesnt.......same with the corned beef.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein