Respected Contributor

Mustard Fried Chicken Recipe, Oh my

Never tried this before, Alton Brown ate this style chicken in a restaurant in Mississippi.Said it was some of the best chicken he had eaten. So, I went looking at recipes and watching You Tube.                                                                                                        I put 10 wings, separated into flats and drummies in a gallon food bag. Squirted in some yellow mustard and sprinkled in Lawry's seasoning salt. I closed the bag and massaged the bag. In another bag I put self rising flour, and coated the wings. I heated my Fry Daddy Fryer up. It is preset to 375*  I fried the chicken in 2 batches for 13 minutes. Yum yum 😊 ❤ 😊

In another recipe they used equal parts flour and cornstarch. Will try this next time. Also gonna let the chicken set longer before flouring.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mustard Fried Chicken Recipe, Oh my

Someone I know fries shrimp by coating with yellow mustard then dipping in a mixture of flour and corn meal.  I haven't tried it but everyone says it's delicious.  They don't taste the mustard much but it really makes the coating stick.

Honored Contributor

@BarbarainncThe only problem with that recipe is that I'd want to have it all for myself and make it again!

On the good side, your recipe reminded me that years ago I used to bake chicken cutlets with a mixture of mayo and mustard.  Also delcious, so now I have to look for that recipe.  Came from old WW or maybe a teacher friend.  I will check.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@BarbarainncThe only problem with that recipe is that I'd want to have it all for myself and make it again!

On the good side, your recipe reminded me that years ago I used to bake chicken cutlets with a mixture of mayo and mustard.  Also delicious, so now I have to look for that recipe.  Came from old WW or maybe a teacher friend.  I will check.

@millieshops, I like to use that mixture with salmon with the thinness slices of lemon possible down the middle.

Honored Contributor

This would be good in the air fryer so you could  admit the deep frying and breading so it’s good for the diet conscious.