Respected Contributor

Must Try...... Beefy Tomato Macaroni Soup

[ Edited ]

20190113_142238.jpgI made this soup for lunch and it was easy and delicous!  Would go great with a grilled cheese sandwich or like me, just have two big mugs full and call it lunch!

BEEFY TOMATO MACARONI SOUP

• 1 lb. ground beef (I used 85/15 ground beef) 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced (I used a squirt of minced garlic)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 shake of ground cayenne pepper (optional but good and you don't feel any 'hot'.)
  • 1 (24) oz jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I used spaghetti sauce with Romano cheese)
  • 4 cups of chicken stock (not broth)
  • 1/2 cup of cream cheese, at room temperature (I used whipped cream cheese) I eyeballed it so could have been a little more..Smiley Happy
  • 1  cup small macaroni (ditalini or small shells)
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, divided (I didn't have any fresh basil so I didn't use any and it was still delicious!)

Instructions

• In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
  • Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until the onion softens.
  • Add the ground beef to the onions, breaking up with a spoon and cook until no longer pink.
  • Next add the salt, pepper, oregano and the one shake of cayenne pepper to the beef and stir to combine.
  • Now pour in the chicken stock and the pasta sauce, stir and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
  •  With a wire whisk..whisk in the cream cheese until smooth then add 1/2 of the fresh basil.
  • Pour in the pasta, stir and let cook for 10 minutes, covered, stirring halfway through cooking.
  • Spoon into bowls and garnish with the leftover basil.

*Note:  The cream cheese will look lumpy almost curdled when it first goes in...keep whisking..be patient...  it will blend completely and you will see no white specks left.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Must Try...... Beefy Tomato Macaroni Soup

I also use whipped cream cheese for recipes, much easier to "melt."  And this brings up the question, what is the difference between chicken broth and chicken stock?  I've been using these little tub thingys from Knorr, but don't know which it is.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this recipe.  Winter is here and I love having soup.  Sounds good ...will try it.

Esteemed Contributor

That sounds de-lish, @ciao_bella!  Am I correct that the pasta goes in dry?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I also use whipped cream cheese for recipes, much easier to "melt."  And this brings up the question, what is the difference between chicken broth and chicken stock?  I've been using these little tub thingys from Knorr, but don't know which it is.

@depglass

I always thought broth is meat while stock is meat + bones (marrow from bones make it gelatinous)

but now the trend is bone broth - go figure

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella sounds delish

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

That sounds de-lish, @ciao_bella!  Am I correct that the pasta goes in dry?

Yes, pasta goes in dry... If you want a very brothy soup, you can cook the pasta separately and add it to each bowl but I think this is just the right amount of pasta added to the soup.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I personally think stock is more flavorful than broth.  

Trusted Contributor

This sounds delicious. I will try it for sure. 

Trusted Contributor

YUM...Thanks for posting the recipe.  You just solved my dilemma of what to fix for next weekend.