Respected Contributor
While last night's dinner ("fishy" Fish) was a disappointment, tonight's made it a distant memory.  I rate this one 4☆.  

Mushroom Fettuccini Alfredo 
May 13, 2015 | The Chew; Clinton Kelly

This traditional Italian version of Fettucini Alfredo uses no heavy cream.  A classic pasta dish that your family will love!

servings: 4    Skill: easy     Time: ~15 min

1 pound cremini mushrooms (sliced)
8 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature, divided)
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 pound fresh fettuccini
1 cup pasta water (divided)
½  cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter into the pan and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the mushrooms in an even layer, being sure not to crowd the pan*. Allow the mushrooms to brown, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Sprinkle in the chopped rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and cook a minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.

Add the fresh pasta to the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until al dente. Meanwhile place the remaining butter into a large mixing bowl. Remove the pasta from the pot directly into the mixing bowl along with 1/4 cup of pasta water. Quickly toss the pasta in the bowl and add in the cheese. Add the remaining 3/4 cup pasta water to loosen and form a sauce and stir in the browned mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with more freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Mrs. G's notes:  The one change I made to this recipe was to use a specialty olive oil -- Olive Scene's Wild Mushroom and Sage.  Oh, and I used (dry) bucatini in lieu of the fettuccini (only because I was out of it.)
  * The reason to being "sure to not crowd the pan" when browning the mushrooms is due to their high water content.  If the pan is too full, as the water is released, the mushrooms (or any other wet food) will steam instead of brown.  If necessary, it is better to brown them in batches rather than crowd the pan.  
  Wine:  Your favorite chilled white.  For me, Chardonnay. 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mushroom Fettuccini Alfredo

Sounds delicious!  I will try this recipe very soon.  With a CA chardonnay, probably.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia     Bon appétit!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG  This recipe looks good!  I just found another brand of Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil from Saratoga Olive Oil Company.  Other than this and eggs, what else do you use it with? 

I'm also curious about some others like Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil.  They make a lot of interesting vinegars too -- I'm thinking about Cinnamon Pear Dark Balsamic.

Valued Contributor

This sounds perfect. I love this dish, but always hesitate making with all the heavy cream.
Thank you so much
Respected Contributor

@sueinsf wrote, in part:  "I just found another brand of Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil from Saratoga Olive Oil Company.  Other than this and eggs, what else do you use it with?    I'm also curious about some others like Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil.  They make a lot of interesting vinegars too -- I'm thinking about Cinnamon Pear Dark Balsamic."

@sueinsf   Oh, I hope your shopping experience at Saratoga Olive Oil is as much fun for you as it is for me at the Olive Scene.   The Olive Scene has row after row of tanks of olive oils and vinegars.  Sampling of any or all of them can easily turn into an expensive adventure if one does not shop judiciously.  (Don't ask how I know. Woman Embarassed)

I use the Mushroom and Sage oil whenever I want a mild 'woodsy' layer of flavor.  It's quite good, IMHO, with pork. The method that generally works well for me is, when I'm considering an oil to use, to taste it, imagining pairing with the dish on the menu.  Whenever I make pizza, I first pour a generous 'puddle' of olive oil (determined by the toppings used) in the pizza pan, for the crust to absorb its goodness as it bakes. 

I am not familiar with the Cinnamon Pear Dark Balsamic that is tempting you, but urge you to try it.  I can imagine it with desserts, or over vanilla ice cream.  Now you're going to make me look. Woman Very Happy

The Milanese Gremolata you mentioned is another new one to me, but I'm supposing it references a base of Italian herbs.  Could be another good one. 

I make an Orange Gremolata that is good with pork or chicken (halibut, too, @Kachina624 ).  First you deglaze the pan with orange juice, orange marmalade and balsamic vinegar then boil to reduce to ½ cup.  The gremolata is made with parsley, orange rind, and garlic. To plate, the syrupy orange juice sauce is ladled over the meat and topped with the orange rind mixture.  Good eats! 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @IamMrsG  and @sueinsf 

for the suggestion of the mushroom and sage oil!  I had not heard of that variety before.

I checked my local 'fancy' oil store and they do carry it!

I am going to ask for it for my birthday coming up since DH never knows what to get me anyways!  LOL

Blood Orange and Lemon infused are my two favorites but I am really looking forward to trying this one!

Respected Contributor

Thanks @IamMrsG!  That Orange Gremolata sounds good too.  Smiley Happy

I have gone back and forth on what to add to my cart.  I've now got the Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil, Blood Orange Olive Oil and Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar.  The others I took out.  Everything sounds so good but I don't want to go crazy - can always buy more later (and hopefully when there are some deals).  I do have a free shipping code right now which will save me a lot, because their shipping is expensive!!

Maybe next time I will try The Olive Scene.  Would love to sample at a store but that's not possible.  I thought about trying some 60ml bottles but those are just so small so I'm starting with 200ml which will probably last me for a bit anyway.  I'll have to see where I can find it retail here.

Maybe one or both of these companies will offer some specials for Cyber Monday if not before then...

Respected Contributor

@sueinsf   Your choices of olive oil and vinegar are good ones.  Wherever you order from, I encourage you to check for Recipes on The Olive Scene's website.   You can enter the 'flavor' of either the oil or vinegar and find recipes calling for that particular one.  

BTW, yes, I believe Olive Scene is having a Memorial Day S&H promotion.