Respected Contributor

@Honeybit, here is the recipe you asked for.  Bon Appétit!

Muffins to Savor
USA Weekend | Feb. 20-22, 2009 | Cook Smart, by Pam Anderson

Makes 12 large muffins or 48 mini-muffins

Master Recipe:

Flavor ingredients (below)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
10 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups plain yogurt

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Preheat oven to 375º.

Prepare flavoring.

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Beat sugar and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Whisk mustard and eggs together, then beat into butter until pea-sized lumps form. Alternating by thirds, beat in the dry ingredients and the yogurt until a smooth, very thick batter just forms.

Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with ½ cup capacity* (or four mini-muffin tins) with vegetable cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among the cups. (A spring-action regular or mini ice cream scoop works well.) The muffin cups will be full.

Bake until muffins are golden brown—about 25 minutes for large muffins or 10-12 minutes for mini-muffins. Cool slightly in pan(s) set on a wire rack. Remove muffins and serve.

Flavors
  Goat Cheese with Rosemary & Olives
Add 1 cup crumbled goat cheese (about 4 ½ ounces) and 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary to dry ingredients and ½ cup chopped Kalamata olives to liquid ingredients.

Feta with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Oregano 
Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ½ ounces) and 1 Tablespoon dried oregano to dry ingredients and ½ cup drained, chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil to liquid ingredients

Parmesan with Prosciutto and Basil
Add 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces), ½ cup minced prosciutto (about 2 ounces) and 1 Tablespoon dried basil to dry ingredients.

*Note: Be sure to check your muffin pan’s cup capacity. Some are smaller than the ½ cup called for in this recipe.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

Oh MY!  I can taste these with my "reading" and they say make me, make me!"  Thank you for a new suggestion to make different additions to our Sunday dinners.  I particularly like the feta/tomato version.  Mmmmmm!  Sounds like a different addition to our Thanksgiving dinner.  Count me among the others who appreciate all your contributions.  I read them all and know I can count on good results.  I don't do nasties either and, although I post seldom these days, I continue to check in for the recipes.    Thanks for sharing.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

I am always looking for something different to serve with "soup for dinner".  These look interesting.

Have you tried freezing and reheating these?  I am not much of a baker.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Muffins to Savor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne  I have used these exactly as you said, "...serve with 'soup for dinner.'"  While I have not frozen them, I don't see anything in the ingredient list to prevent it.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

YEAH @IamMrsG  !!!!

I was SO hoping you would post this recipe!!

I made a big ole pot of soup last night ...these would be delicious with it!

I don't know which version to try first!!

Thank you!!!  I'm going to the grocery store on my lunch break!

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG   Thanks so much for sharing this recipe -- until I saw your original post I had never thought much about savory muffins except Corn Muffins and "Stuffin' Muffins."  In response to your comment in the Cider Pork thread, no, you didn't come across as anything but another frustrated poster.  Seems we lost a lot of the kind and helpful people who used to post on Recipe Swap when we had the format change on these boards -- glad you decided to stay positive and just "stay".  I'll be looking forward to more of your posts in the future.

Super Contributor

Oh my gosh these all look soooooo good. Thank you so much for posting this, I can't wait to make some!!

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

TWO thumbs up, Mrs. G!

I did the Goat cheese, olives & rosemary!  Delicious!

I thought I messed them up royally since my batter was so thick but they were really tender and moist inside.

Remind me more of a bisquit made in a muffin tin!  LOL

Yesty, I reheated them a smidge.  We used a Brie type cheese on them and had them for brunch after church.

Can't wait to try other versions!

Thanks!!