Honored Contributor

I made this on our "snow day" this past Saturday. It's by David Venable from his cookbook Half Homemade, Fully Delicious. We all loved it, so I hope you do too!  Smiley Happy

Monte Cristo Casserole 

Vegetable oil spray 

3 cups half and half 

6 large eggs 

3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 

1 - 10 oz. baguette, cut into 1" pieces 

1 lb. deli ham, cut into 1" pieces 

3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese 

1 cup strawberry jam

1 tsp. Confectioners' sugar 

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13" baking dish with vegetable oil spray.

Whisk together the half and half, eggs, and mustard in a large bowl. Using a spatula, fold in the baguette pieces, ham, and Swiss cheese. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the bread. Pour the mixture into the baking dish, pressing down firmly. Randomly drop tablespoonsful of the jam on top.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until golden brown on top and a knife inserted 2 inches from the edge of the baking dish comes out clean, 15 - 20 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Dust each serving with  Confectioners' sugar.

Makes 8 servings.  

This is a picture of my casserole!

24457057-4A18-46E8-84DE-A2A60363C89C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Sounds amazing.  I will definitely try this.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @beach-mom   !!

Respected Contributor

i've made something similar and recipe called for turkey, also. We liked it. I don't remember seening Monte Cristos on restaurant menus, in a long time.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom ,

This looks delicious.  I love Monte Cristo sandwiches,  so this casserole is a must try for me. Thank you for sharing this.  

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

i've made something similar and recipe called for turkey, also. We liked it. I don't remember seening Monte Cristos on restaurant menus, in a long time.

@10sluvr  I don't see them on restaurant menus anymore either. I used to order them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Thank you @beach-mom   !!

YW @RespectLife ! Let us know what you think when you make it!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@beach-mom ,

This looks delicious.  I love Monte Cristo sandwiches,  so this casserole is a must try for me. Thank you for sharing this.  

@Tissyanne - YW! I love the sandwiches too and if I'm going to lunch at a restaurant that serves them, that's what I order!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I hope you all like it. Let us know if you make it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom I tried the casserole and it was AMAZING.  Thanks.  It's a keeper.