Trusted Contributor

Mongolian Beef

1 pound flank steak
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons fresh ginger...minced (or less if you perfer)
1 tablespoon garlic... minced (or less if you perfer)
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup DARK BROWN sugar
4 green onions (use only green stem part), cut into 2 inch pieces

Slice the flank steak against the grain (the grain is the length of the steak) the long way (1/4 inch thick pieces) and add it to a ziploc bag with the cornstarch.

Press the steak around in the bag making sure each piece is fully coated with cornstarch and set aside.

Add the oil to a large frying pan and heat on medium high heat.

Add the steak, shaking off any excess corn starch, to the pan in a single layer and cook on each side for 1 minute.****

If you need to cook the steak in batches because your pan isn't big enough, do that rather than crowding the pan. You want to get a good sear on the steak and if you crowd the pan, your steak will steam and you won't get a good sear.***

When the steak is done cooking remove it from the pan.

Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and sauté for 10-15 seconds.

Add the soy sauce, water and dark brown sugar to the pan and let it come to a boil.

Add the steak back in and let the sauce thicken for 20-30 seconds.

The cornstarch used on the steak should thicken the sauce, if you find it isn't thickening enough add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of cold water and stir to dissolve the cornstarch and add it to the pan.

Add the green onions, stir to combine everything, and cook for a final 20-30 seconds.

Serve immediatly **I put it over cooked rice**

*****NOTE***** If possible please use DARK BROWN sugar. If you are in a pinch and you only have light brown don’t worry you will still have a very tasty meal. Just promise me the next time you make it you will use DARK BROWN sugar. The flavor difference is very noticeable because of the molasses in DARK BROWN sugar.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mongolian Beef

[ Edited ]

@LilBitMissty ~ Thank you very much for the recipe, I love flank steak.  This meal sounds so good.  I’ll make sure to use dark brown sugar!  🥩🍽

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had it but the name "M" is a turn off.  Any idea why the name?

The only thing that comes to my mind is.......some sort of OX meat.

Super Contributor

PF Chang's has a great version on their menu, like "beef candy" taste-wise. I found their recipe on line and tried it. It went well.

Honored Contributor

sounds good but i only keep light brown sugar

since i use so little brown sugar in general and usually for baking

thought it wouldn't make a huge difference

hmmm.... rethinking my error all these years

is it comparing skim to whole milk?

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I've never had it but the name "M" is a turn off.  Any idea why the name?

The only thing that comes to my mind is.......some sort of OX meat.

@fthunt

It is named for the cooking technique high heat and quick (stir fry basically), not a location. It is not part of Mongolian cuisine. It originated in Taiwan.

Honored Contributor

This looks like a yummy recipe, I love Mongolian Beef.

Respected Contributor

I had Mongolian beef at PF Chang's last week. One of my favorite dishes. 

Super Contributor

Welcome back LilBit!  I don't visit this site much anymore, but it did help me through some dark days years ago!  It has changed quite a bit!

Respected Contributor

Re: Mongolian Beef

[ Edited ]

@LilBitMissty  Thank you so much. Looks so good.  I always keep flank steak in my freezer and use it pretty often in Chinese cooking. 
Dark brown sugar has more molasses and provides a lot more flavor in certain dishes.  I also like a pinch of Five Spice Powder in Chinese cooking, and often times a pinch of hot pepper flakes too.  

Thanks again. 

Edited to add.   Peanut oil is best in Chinese cooking.