Honored Contributor

Mississippi Pot Roast, Reddit's favorite slow-cooker recipe

In a couple of weeks, after our indulgence of turkey, I will be making this recipe. It looks delicious  Heart

mississippi-pot-roast2square.jpg

It's the roast that's breaking the internet ... or, at least, Reddit.

Reddit searches for Mississippi Pot Roast  rose by nearly 40% in October, according to a Reddit spokesperson.

The ingredients for Mississippi Pot Roast are simple: your family's favorite type of beef roast, a packet of ranch seasoning, pepperoncini peppers, a stick of butter and a packet of au jus gravy mix. Slow-cooker enthusiasts say it's a set-it-and-forget-it type of recipe where, in 8 to 10 hours of low-heat cooking, you'll open your slow cooker to a melt-in-your mouth pot roast.

According to Southern Living, Mississippi Pot Roast was the invention of Robin Chapman, a mom from Ripley, Mississippi who stumbled upon the creation in the '90s when she tried to make her aunt's pot roast recipe less spicy for her kids. The roast was a hit, and so it became a regular part of the Chapman's rotating dinner menu.

After Chapman's recipe showed up in a church cookbook, it began making its way around the internet, dubbed "Mississippi Roast" or "Mississippi Pot Roast" by bloggers and food enthusiasts who couldn't get enough of the flavorful one-pot meal.

The rest is slow-cooker history

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Mississippi Pot Roast, Reddit's favorite slow-cooker recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 (3-4 pounds) chuck roast
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix
  • 1 packet au jus gravy mix
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 4-5 pepperoncini peppers
Instructions
  • Place roast in the slow cooker and sprinkle the top with the ranch dressing mix and the au jus mix. Place peppers on top of the mixes, and add the butter.
  • Cook over low heat for 8 hours. Serve with noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Notes
  • Do not add any water or broth to this! It will make enough liquid as it cooks.
  • This tastes delicious with potatoes and carrots! I like to add a few quartered russet potatoes and a large handful of baby carrots to the crockpot when there is about 1-2 hours left of cooking time.

Nutrition

Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 171mg | Sodium: 501mg | Potassium: 765mg | Vitamin A: 225IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 4.7mg

mississippi-pot-roast3.jpg

mississippi-pot-roast4.jpg

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

In a couple of weeks, after our indulgence of turkey, I will be making this recipe. It looks delicious  Heart

mississippi-pot-roast2square.jpg

It's the roast that's breaking the internet ... or, at least, Reddit.

Reddit searches for Mississippi Pot Roast  rose by nearly 40% in October, according to a Reddit spokesperson.

The ingredients for Mississippi Pot Roast are simple: your family's favorite type of beef roast, a packet of ranch seasoning, pepperoncini peppers, a stick of butter and a packet of au jus gravy mix. Slow-cooker enthusiasts say it's a set-it-and-forget-it type of recipe where, in 8 to 10 hours of low-heat cooking, you'll open your slow cooker to a melt-in-your mouth pot roast.

According to Southern Living, Mississippi Pot Roast was the invention of Robin Chapman, a mom from Ripley, Mississippi who stumbled upon the creation in the '90s when she tried to make her aunt's pot roast recipe less spicy for her kids. The roast was a hit, and so it became a regular part of the Chapman's rotating dinner menu.

After Chapman's recipe showed up in a church cookbook, it began making its way around the internet, dubbed "Mississippi Roast" or "Mississippi Pot Roast" by bloggers and food enthusiasts who couldn't get enough of the flavorful one-pot meal.

The rest is slow-cooker history

I've made this many times. There's a few versions which just swap out the Ranch Dressing Mix for Good Seasons an some other mixes. It's always tasty. It's good with French Bread. Enjoy

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this @Chi-town girl! And thanks for confirming how good it is @Mindy D! I will be trying this too!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This recipe has been on the internet for years, I never understood the popularity.

I love onions, I use the dry Lipton Onion Soup Mix.   It may say dip on the label.

I'm not a fan of the ranch seasoning, I am, however a fan of butter!

Super Contributor

@Chi-town girl @Sounds easy enough.  Bet it makes the kitchen smell so good!

Honored Contributor

That looks exactly like the beef broth, worcheschire, and red wine stew I did a week ago.

I'm hesitant with 240 mg of sodium per serving because of the Ranch.  It's different when it's diluted with salad dressings.  Sodium is the second ingredient.

I've gotten to the place where salt is almost bitter to me.

Valued Contributor

I have followed this recipe and it turned out to be very salty. I did find an alternative recipe using the same concept on the NYTimes website and that was just as good but less salty. 

Honored Contributor

I use brown gravy mix, Good Seasons Italian mix, onion soup mix, and a cup of red wine.

Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

I have followed this recipe and it turned out to be very salty. I did find an alternative recipe using the same concept on the NYTimes website and that was just as good but less salty. 

@LilLadyNJ  - can you post the NY Times ingredients/recipe?