Honored Contributor

If I can find the time, I will make these for the Memorial Day weekend

Screenshot_2021-05-26-19-06-20.png

From Southern Living

One Test Kitchen Professional said these Mini Key Lime Pies are “a delicious taste of the tropics and just the right size to not feel guilty!” The coconut crust is crisp but chewy, and the sweet coconut contrasts beautifully with the tart key lime filling, and no key lime pie would be complete without fluffy homemade whipped cream. This mini delight is truly the perfect bite. Tiny Key limes can be a chore to squeeze, but microwaving them for 15 seconds will help them soften and juice more easily. One pound of fresh Key limes will yield about a half cup of juice. If you’re using bottled juice, make sure it is 100 percent pure Key lime juice and not sweetened. Our Test Kitchen recommends Nellie and Joe’s.

Active: 20 mins
Total: 3 hrs 25 mins
Yield: Serves 12

Ingredients
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (from about 8 graham crackers)
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup Key lime juice
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1⁄2 tsp. lime zest (from 2 limes), divided
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Key lime slices
Directions
  • Step 1

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 12 jumbo-size (3 1⁄2-inch) aluminum foil baking cups in a regular-size muffinpan, and coat with cooking spray.

• Step 2

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, coconut, melted butter, and 4 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl until combined; firmly press onto bottom and up sides of each baking cup (about 3 rounded tablespoons of mixture per cup). Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside. Keep oven set at 350°F.

• Step 3

Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, Key lime juice, egg yolks, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the lime zest in a bowl until combined. Pour mixture evenly into prepared crusts (about 1⁄4 cup per crust). Bake until pies are just set, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Refrigerate 2 hours, and then remove aluminum foil baking cups before serving.

• Step 4

Beat heavy cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until foamy. Gradually add vanilla extract and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; beat until medium peaks form. Fold in remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest. Top each mini pie with a dollop of whipped cream, and garnish with a Key lime slice.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Mini Coconut-Key Lime Pies

@Chi-town girl 

May I bring some grilled chicken and vegetables?Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Sounds absolutely fabulous.  Thank you !!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  - sounds like a good plan Woman Very Happy

@sann  - you're welcome!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl  Looks and sounds yummy!  I'm making regular full size key lime pie.  I will have to try this one next.  Thank you for sharing.  🌴🍈🍰

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl Thanks for the recipe.  Looks delicious and I think that I will make it this weekend.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!