Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,I think the recipe you have was the one before Cool Whip came out!  That's amazing!  

Did your mom make it?  Do you remember when you first had it?  Was it as a child?  Did it come from your grandmother?

I've made powdered sugar before in a pinch and I could never get it soft enough and I taught Foods and Advanced Foods!  LOL!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624,I think the recipe you have was the one before Cool Whip came out!  That's amazing!  

Did your mom make it?  Do you remember when you first had it?  Was it as a child?  Did it come from your grandmother?

I've made powdered sugar before in a pinch and I could never get it soft enough and I taught Foods and Advanced Foods!  LOL!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  No, as I told you the pie was a speciality of Furr's Cafeterias which may now be out of business.  They were headed that way for a long time.  The were prevalent in Texas and there were a couple in Albuquerque.  I don't know where else they were located.  

The other recipe, the one you posted, was popular among my co-worker and I think I made it once.  I personally preferred the Furr's pie.  I don't know when it was first served but Furr's was an old chain and had very good food at one time.  It could have been pre-Cool Whip. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Your recipe sounds like the pie I had once.  I didn't know what it was called, but it was good.

it must have over 1000 calories a slice!

Honored Contributor

@Carrie  Yes, the pie is not diet food.  It's very rich; a small slice is sufficient. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@vickie25 Yeah, it was very good wasn't it?  I heard our local Furr's closed.  The whole company has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for years. 

We still have 5 left in the DFW area but it's been years since I've eaten at one.  It was definitely good.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for these recipes.  I actually modified slighly for a smaller version using a 5 inch spring pan.

I replaced the eggs with sweetened condensed milk.  Unfortunately I still used the powder sugar and so the bottom layer was extremely sweet.  Next time I will use part sweetened condensed milk and mix in whipped heavy cream and leave out the powdered sugar in the first layer.  Delightful with the pineapple and pecans.   Might add a little coconut next time too.

Thanks for the recipes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Millionaire Pie

[ Edited ]

@iQue,I'm sorry.  I noticed you mentioned "eggs"..  There are no eggs in Millionaire Pie.  The eggs are in the Crustless Spinach Quiche.

Also I didn't use powdered sugar in the above pie or the quiche.  I'm not quite sure what you may have made.

Trusted Contributor

ECBG wrote:

I do have a great fruit pizza with Cool Whip if anyone wants it.Smiley Happy

@ECBG

I'd love to have your Fruit Pizza recipe.   (I still remember two "Big Shocks" from my childhood -- one when a neighbor brought us a "Meat Pie" and it wasn't SWEET; the other when I first saw a "Dessert Pizza" and it WAS!