Valued Contributor

I have been craving a pasty since I was thinking about holiday treats.

The first time I made them myself, 30 years or so ago, my dough was horrid.  So the other day I found a recipe for the mixture done in a casserole dish.  I even ordered a vegetable chopper to chop everything up.  Has anyone else tried anything like this?

Honored Contributor

If a Michigan Pasty is the same thing as Cornish Pasty, then I love them and I have made them.  Not recently.  My mom and I would make them.  She made the pastry.  Maybe I'll make some this winter.  

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

If a Michigan Pasty is the same thing as Cornish Pasty, then I love them and I have made them.  Not recently.  My mom and I would make them.  She made the pastry.  Maybe I'll make some this winter.  

Yes, the same and so good.

Respected Contributor

I have never made them, but this summer I visited the Cornish Pasty Company in downtown Phoenix and it was wonderful. They have traditional pasties, vegetarian, vegan, and dessert pasties, and adventurous pasties.

I had one called The Pilgrim, which was turkey, sweet potatoes, onions, and stuffing served with cranberry sauce. Just about anything you could want they managed to stuff into a Pasty - chicken tikka masala, lamb and mint, a reuben sandwich. They're owned by a Cornish family and I cannot recommend the place enough.

They ship, but I haven't ordered anything yet. Maybe after the holidays.

Honored Contributor

When we exit Wisconsin to visit Upper Michigan, we drive by a pasty shop. Must be a popular thing up north.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of pasties before - well. not this kind.  They sound and look delicious.

Honored Contributor

I have a recipe for Cornish Pasty's somewhere.  I got it from an elderly man who grew up in the "mitten."  LOL!!!

It HAD to have rutabagas (which he called "rutebagies") as part of the filling I remember.  He was really serious about making these because his mother made them.

Honored Contributor

I've lived in Michigan my whole life and I really despise pasties. They are sooooo very unhealthy! It sits like a huge rock in your stomach. I've had many through the years and finally gave up. They are all horrible. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I had some delicious ones in Australia. Now if I see them around I try them but none were as good as those.

Honored Contributor

I read that "pasty" is pronounced like "nasty," not "tasty.:  But we hope your pasty is tasty not nasty.  Smiley Happy