Honored Contributor

During the Middle Ages, Michaelmas was both a celebration of harvest and a great religious feast in much of western Europe. The day was used to demarcate the change in seasons, and was more focused on farming and finances. In England, the rent payment or autumn “quarter day” coincided with the feast day, and a fattened goose was given to the landlord, so it became custom to eat a roast goose dinner. In parts of Scotland, a flat scone-like griddlecake called ‘St. Michael’s Bannock’ was prepared and enjoyed to honor the archangel whom they revered. And in Ireland, finding a ring hidden in a ‘Michaelmas pie’ meant an early marriage! While the pie may have included blackberries, since the fruit was plentiful before the harvest in that region, there is no historical record that proves it did.

But regardless of what was done in ages past, I’d like to bring the forsaken blackberries back into the mix and share a dessert that features them prominently. I mean, what a better way to celebrate the achievements of St. Michael the Archangel than to make use of God’s fruitful providence despite the devil’s best efforts to corrupt it!

So, with a nod to the Archangels and my wooden spoon in hand, I present ‘Michaelmas Blackberry and Apple Crisp’! This recipe is a hit with my family, and quick and easy to make. Just remember to add the vanilla ice cream. And always remember … use your berries on or before September 29th!

4 cups sliced apples (sliced ½” thick and cut crosswise)

2 cups blackberries (thawed if frozen)

1/3 cup sugar

3 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon lemon juice

½ cup all-purpose flour

½ cup rolled oats

1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds

½ cup dark brown sugar

¼ cup granulated sugar

Pinch salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

8 tablespoons softened unsalted butter, cut into pieces

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the oven to 375°F.

Combine the flour, sugars, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Gradually add butter slices and combine with a fork until it's well blended and the mixture crumbles with your fingertips. Set aside (or refrigerate until you're ready to use it).

In an 8” square, baking dish combine apples, blackberries and lemon juice. Add sugar and flour and gently toss until fruit is coated. Top the fruit with the crisp mixture and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is a light golden brown. Allow to cool slightly for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Honored Contributor

Re: Michaelmas blackberry crisp

snip

Don’t pick blackberries after October 11 as the Devil gets in them.”
Mrs Houlton eyed my basket as she stirred her tea. Way back then I’d blackberry for my mum. She liked them scattered in a crumble or a handful tossed into apple compote. They were a great little present before I returned to University.

“What exactly do you mean?” I was intrigued.
“Well it’s an old English tale, really. The saying is that the Devil was kicked out of heaven on October 11th. He landed on a blackberry bush. It must have hurt as each year he takes his revenge by spoiling blackberries after the 11th. Some say he spits on them, others that he pees on them.”
She gave me a sharp, clear eyed look.
“What ever he does to them, you’ll find that they taste thin after this date.”

Mrs Houlton was a wise old soul and I blindly followed her advice. She helped my mother in the house. Small and energetic she was intelligent and kind. We eventually moved away and a few years later her daughter drove her up to see us in Oxford. As the car drew away Mrs Houlton filled the back window of the car, smiling and waving goodbye. I sensed that I wouldn’t see her again. She died a few weeks later.

Thinking about it now, October 11th is a pretty good point to stop picking blackberries. They are best picked at the end of a warm sunny day. Often we have had the first touch of frost in the UK by this date and a frosted blackberry has a watery taste. Although the weather forecast for the rest of the week looks mild I am going to take a small break each day to harvest the second flush of blackberries in the garden and remember an old friend.