Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Meatloaf. Should you add cooked or raw veggies?

[ Edited ]

Usually, when I make a meatloaf, I add raw chopped onions and green peppers(and sometimes finely grated carrots 🥕)to my mixture. I was looking at some recipes and some people saute the veggies first. I was wondering if it makes a difference in taste? What do some of you do?🤔

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Contributor

Re: Meatloaf. Should you add cooked or raw veggies?

I didn't think it made a difference, so I just add the raw vegetables.  I usually do onion and peppers or sometimes carrots.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always mixed in the raw veggies prior to cooking.  I really don't find the initial sauteing in any recipe makes much difference in flavor.  The only thing I may saute first would be garlic as my DH is a garlic lover.

Honored Contributor

I add them raw to my raw ground beef.  IMO, if you cook the veggies first, then they get cooked even more in baking process, all the vitamins and nutrients in the veggies are killed off, so why bother?

Esteemed Contributor

Why bother? The ground beef is going to be cooked long enough to cook the veggies and even an egg if used to bind the loaf. Save yourself the extra work and time; keep it easy!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

The only reason why I saute the onions first is because I add a pinch of sugar, which cuts out any onion after-taste. I usually throw in the celery, too, which softens them a bit.

I always do soups this way, too.

Honored Contributor

I add raw, fresh or frozen.  Onions, peppers, sometimes mixed vegetables.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Usually, when I make a meatloaf, I add raw chopped onions and green peppers(and sometimes finely grated carrots 🥕)to my mixture. I was looking at some recipes and some people saute the veggies first. I was wondering if it makes a difference in taste? What do some of you do?🤔

@Starpolisher 

The only reason I would saute vegs first is if the pieces were thick or rather dense ... such as chunks of broccoli.  I've never added broccoli to meatloaf .....  just using this veg as an example.  

If the pieces are thin, they will cook right along with the meatloaf.  

Honored Contributor

Meat, chunky salsa to taste, mix, throw in pan, bake, eat!!!

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

The sauteing of vegetables is supposed to develop flavor.