Esteemed Contributor

shoekitty, that is interesting, thanks for the information!

I have a very good vegetarian cookbook. I use it to make sides. It has icons under some dishes that show whether the dish uses eggs or milk or is purely vegan. I never read into it fully since I was usually serving the dish with meat, poultry or fish.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
Honny, can you tell me about this "simmer sauce"? Over the summer, I think it was Progresso that came out with some of simmering sauces. I bought two kinds of the basil-I know I had something in mind when I bought it, and check if I can remember what for.....my poor menopausal brain....sigh.... Poodlepet2
Frequent Contributor

I thought I was going to get lots of good recipes here………

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/2/2014 Poodlepet2 said: Honny, can you tell me about this "simmer sauce"? Over the summer, I think it was Progresso that came out with some of simmering sauces. I bought two kinds of the basil-I know I had something in mind when I bought it, and check if I can remember what for.....my poor menopausal brain....sigh.... Poodlepet2

Poodlepet, simmer sauces are so versatile! The directions on the jars say to simmer a pound of cubed meat. I use them in place of condensed soup for hot dishes.

I buy mine from Trader Joes and BJs. The grocery store has them also; usually in the Indian section, but you'll sometimes find them near the soups.

Progresso came out with the Basil and another was Cheese. Both were outstanding, but I can only find them at Big Lots now, so I think they were discontinued.

Simmer Sauce

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/2/2014 carrob said:

I thought I was going to get lots of good recipes here………

Hi carrob! Why would think that?! That's crazy talk!

Honored Contributor
On 12/2/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 12/2/2014 Poodlepet2 said: Honny, can you tell me about this "simmer sauce"? Over the summer, I think it was Progresso that came out with some of simmering sauces. I bought two kinds of the basil-I know I had something in mind when I bought it, and check if I can remember what for.....my poor menopausal brain....sigh.... Poodlepet2

Poodlepet, simmer sauces are so versatile! The directions on the jars say to simmer a pound of cubed meat. I use them in place of condensed soup for hot dishes.

I buy mine from Trader Joes and BJs. The grocery store has them also; usually in the Indian section, but you'll sometimes find them near the soups.

Progresso came out with the Basil and another was Cheese. Both were outstanding, but I can only find them at Big Lots now, so I think they were discontinued.

Simmer Sauce

I love Rick Bayliss sauces. They are Mexican sauces, but they are so right on, and like home made...better actually! I love the Mole', the Red Chile simmering sauce, the Taco sauce, the Verde' sauce is to die for.

The red chili simmering sauce is mild, but it is great for simmering any kind of cubed meat, poultry, or meat pieces. I add sliced onions, sliced bell peppers, and chicken pieces cut in small parts. I cut breast in 6 pieces, thigh in 2, etc. I put in my Fiesta casserole cooker and simmer in oven for an hour or two. Delish! Do the same for mole' sauce

Esteemed Contributor

shoekitty, thanks! I'm always looking for a good simmer sauce!

Try putting a cup of brown rice and veggies is an 8x8 baking dish, mix the sauce in, top with whole s/b chicken thighs, and bake at 350.

Respected Contributor
I wish we had a Trader Joe's. I wonder if any of these can be found on- line. Shoe, how hot are the Bayliss sauces? I watch his show on PBS and my DH salivate, but I am not so sure I could deal with the heat. Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor
On 12/1/2014 Poodlepet2 said: You know what? This is a cooking forum and be it here or and "Kitchen and Food", I am tired of those who inform us they would never cook this way, it's unhealthy... they are worried about obesity, salt, sugar ad nauseam. I propose that they A) campaign QVC for a "Healthy Cooking and Eating " topic.....or there are plenty of web-sites out there that cater to specific needs, whatever they may be. We are grown-ups here, we are not asking for your opinions or your health advice.....why don't you seek out your own kind? Here, I think we are just a humble group who love food, special occasions and friendship and family. There are certainly those who fancy themselves superior to our Plebian tastes....well, don't waste your time here.....go flock with the other "superior" echelons. Poodlepet2

Sorry but if we ARE grownups here, we should be tolerant of people expressing their opinions, good or bad, unless they are mean about it. It is fine for someone to day "Oh gosh I wouldn't eat that with so much fat" or suggest healthier alternatives if they do it in a polite and not mean way.

These boards are about different views, likes, lifestyles and ways of thinking. And that's a good thing as long as you don't put down others for their views. And no like-minded group of people have a right to dominate any of these boards or dismiss others for their differing viewpoints.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/3/2014 Poodlepet2 said: I wish we had a Trader Joe's. I wonder if any of these can be found on- line. Shoe, how hot are the Bayliss sauces? I watch his show on PBS and my DH salivate, but I am not so sure I could deal with the heat. Poodlepet2

Poodlepet, check Amazon. They carry everything. That's where I'm going to look for the Bayliss sauce.

As for the heat, my husband can eat the hot simmer sauces that I use, while I add chiles to my plates. He's a lightweight.