Trusted Contributor

I figured everyone in this forum would be filled of ideas for me.  My MIL has been widowed for 10 years and now lives completely on Lean Cuisine frozen meals.  I want to give her some better meal options so I thought for Christmas I would provide her with some Frozen Home Cooked meals.  

Freezer space is a concern as she only has the small freezer on the top.

If any one else out there is in a similar situation living alone, what type of meals would you like?  Any great ideas for freezer meals?  I figured since she's not cooking now a meal service such as Blue Apron wouldn't be good choice.  

We made Pulled Pork yesterday and I have put a small bowl away for her as a start.  I have a couple divided lock and lock containers to send home with her on Christmas while she is at our home.  

Thanks in Advance.

Honored Contributor

Schwan's delivers prepared frozen meals to most addresses.

Super Contributor

@mimomof4 what a sweet idea, I do hope you get some helpful suggestions.  My Mom is a recent widow and I also worry about her eating habits now that she is alone.  I'll check back for some inspiration too.  

Here's an idea I use for myself (just two of us at home)....I make mini meatloaves, 4 at a time, and freeze.  When I'm ready to have it for dinner I take one out the day before to thaw, then pop back in my mini loaf pan and bake.  I even froze the ketchup mixture sauce topping this time, in little snack size zip top bags and it worked perfectly.  Just snip the corner of the bag and spread over the top for the last few minutes of baking.  You can also do this in a muffin tin to have even more personal portion sizes.  I like it because it cooks much quicker than a whole full size meatloaf and I don't end up with 8 meals of meatloaf!!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

I like soup and stew for the winter.Easy to heat and they are an all in one meal with meat and veg.

Esteemed Contributor

My freezer is full of individual portions of soup, casseroles, etc.  Just make a normal size pot of soup or 9 x 13 casserole.  Cut into portions that fit the freezer containers and freeze.  What I do is pull one out the night before and when I get home from work the next day, I pop it onto a small or regular size plate and nuke it.  I always have salads, green beans or some type of vegetable made up to go with it.  

You could do beef barley soup, chili, chicken rice casserole, lasagne, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Thank you @Catlady Nicole.  My kids love Meatloaf and it would be so easy to put a couple in a muffin tin for just her.  With 4 hungry kids, one being 13 there are no leftovers LOL.

MIL was a great cook and when she first became a widow she would cook and bring food over to my house since my kids were little.  She would get a roaster chicken from Sams and make a week of meals from it.  Now 10 years later she doesn't do that.  I see her health deterioriating, I believe partially from poor nutrition.  Shes not getting fresh fruit (other than an orange or banana in the AM) or veggies.  I'm trying to get something healthy back into her.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @dex@shoptilyadropagain

I'm cooked some chicken today to put in soup tomorrow.  I figure its a great way to get her some veggies.

I always have a freezer full of Lasagna or casseroles for my family.  Whenever I make 1, I make 2, 3 or 4 and freeze them.  I suppose what I need to start doing is try to make a small portion as well when I do this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Meal Gift Ideas

[ Edited ]

Make a batch of vegan three bean chili or a red lentil chili.  I always make a big Instant Pot of these two chilis and find them very versatile.  If they are frozen into smaller individual packages, she can bake a potato or rice and top it with the chili.  Sometimes I add chopped greens, tomatoes, and avo on top for a tostada salad.  It is nutritious and delicious.  What a beautiful gift for your MIL!

Also just a heads-up:  If she continues to purchase frozen meals....have her check out Amy's.  They even have a meal program on-line and they are not so heavy on the chemicals/salt.  They are yummy for frozen, have lots of choices, and are a healthier choice than the Lean Cuisine.  (They are less expensive at Walmart.)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Meal Gift Ideas

[ Edited ]

Hummmmm......is this my DIL writing about me..........lol

Rastelli's,  EGG HARBOR, seafood microwave meals sold here at the Q are very good.I am 80 and I enjoy them a lot. They take 8 minutes to cook in the microwave and are very healthy and NOT expensive.

I'm 80 and a lean Cusine gal too.......lol and I tell my kids all the time give me food,deserts or anything edabile for Christmas.I have enough clothes and other stuff!!!

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4,

In the last week I sent a meatloaf, 3 bean salad, and beef bbq to my 84 year old mom, who has lost her ability to cook but the simplest of things.   

Mom loves Hormel Compleats as well as different frozen meals.   One of Mom’s favorite things is to make quesadillas with deli roasted chicken, or drained canned chicken and cheese, and burritos.   We also buy her premade pizza crusts, and different toppings so she can made quick pizzas.   She is still capable of making soup or cooking dried beans, but mostly enjoys eating foods very different from her usual fare- -even some spice and heat, along with tart and tangy, which surprises me.

One of Mom’s favorite things is for me to make her a breakfast casserole.   I bought the Ore-Ida and Jimmy Dean microwave ones to see if she liked them, then just started making a 9x13 one, which only lasts about 4 days.    I cut the casserole prior to taking it over, so that she just removes a square and heats in the microwave.    I also make beef or chicken casseroles with egg noodles, which is a favorite.