Occasional Contributor

Mayo in casseroles..trouble!

Whenever I add Mayo as an ingredient in casseroles it breaks down.  It tastes ok, but isn't appealing looking.  What am I doing wrong?

Honored Contributor

Re: Mayo in casseroles..trouble!

@Cavime What dishes are you putting mayo in? I've never added it to a casserole, that I can recall.

Does the recipe call for it or do you just add it on your own? 

Honestly I only love mayo (and I do love it) on sandwiches and I use lots when I make my world famous tuna salad!

Maybe if you give some details someone can help.

Honored Contributor

Are you mixing the mayo in?  Mayo is oil, vinegar, and egg.

Honored Contributor

i make some casseroles that have mayo in them, but i make sure to incorporate the rest of the "sauce" ingredients in with the mayo with a whisk. i do not have any problems with separation.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I would never put mayo in a casserole.  It sounds too rich to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I would never put mayo in a casserole.  It sounds too rich to me. 

LOL, thats what makes it so good!.....the richness.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Every time I make my broccoli casserole, I am told it is the best one anyone has ever eaten, no matter for what function I make it:  family, church, SS, social clubs, etc.  When I am asked the recipe, the first ingredient I tell them is onions, the second pecans and the third mayo and that ends the desire to have the recipe right there.  It may be the best casserole they have ever eaten but when they find it has mayo in it, they reject it. Good, it is hard to make and there is never enough to go around.

Esteemed Contributor

My very fav is broch flower - 1 egg - sharp cheese - 1/2 cup Mayo - Mush Soup and chopped onion.

It comes out of the oven bubbling browned.........and delicious

Could eat 7 days/week but have to limit it's making.

Some recipes call for sour cream........is that different?

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

My very fav is broch flower - 1 egg - sharp cheese - 1/2 cup Mayo - Mush Soup and chopped onion.

It comes out of the oven bubbling browned.........and delicious

Could eat 7 days/week but have to limit it's making.

Some recipes call for sour cream........is that different?

@fthunt 

Probably the only difference I see here (just based on what you are saying), is that I add pecans and more cheese than the recipe calls for.  I put some in the recipe and then put it on top and add ritz crackers and butter atop it and brown it.  I think the pecans give it that nutty taste but they are not visible unless one is looking for them because I grind them quite fine.

Honored Contributor

I've only used mayo in one casserole. My mom said she made it a lot when she was first married. It's a tuna and noodle casserole with crumbled up potato chips on the top (yes, people ate like that in the 50's). Whenever I mixed the ingredients, the mayo didn't separate.