Frequent Contributor

Matzo Ball Recipe w/crushed Walnuts??

Hello🙋🏼‍♀️,
Last year I had Passover dinner at a friend's house and her mother made the most delicious matzo balls I've ever tasted. She woul only tell me that her secret ingredient was crushed walnuts but would not give me the recipe. Does anyone have a recipe? I searched the internet and found zilch.
Thanks so much, stay safe and have a beautiful day 😘.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Matzo Ball Recipe w/crushed Walnuts??

she wouldn't give you the recipe?!  sounds like she's not a friend...sorry...that's how i feel.....friends share with friends.....

Honored Contributor

have never heard that

maybe she was giving you a snow job 

Frequent Contributor

It's my friend's mother and she won't even give the recipe to her own daughter. Glad she's not my mother LOL!!!!
Frequent Contributor

Just found a recipe with crushed almonds. I just substitute walnuts instead.
Esteemed Contributor

I loved my Grandma's & mom's matzah balls.They were light & fluffy & oh so yummy!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jettaforce wrote:
Hello🙋🏼‍♀️,
Last year I had Passover dinner at a friend's house and her mother made the most delicious matzo balls I've ever tasted. She woul only tell me that her secret ingredient was crushed walnuts but would not give me the recipe. Does anyone have a recipe? I searched the internet and found zilch.

@jettaforce I'm guessing she made walnut flour using a food processor. She probably mixed this with the matzoh meal.

@jettaforce Addingbthe walnut flour is is a Russian thing from Georgia. 

@jettaforce wrote:
Hello🙋🏼‍♀️,

@jettaforce I'm guessing she made walnut flour using a food processor. She probably mixed this with the matzoh meal.

@jettaforce Adding the ground up walnuts to the matzo meal is a Georgian (Russian) thing. It's called Khenaghi. khenaghi or tsvniani khenaghi. Hot tip. Make the balls the day after you make the soup. After the soup cools in fridge, skim off the smaltz from the top of the soup and use this chicken fat (smaltz) as the smaltz in your matzo balls. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you!! I found the recipe!!😘