Honored Contributor

I see this often on recipe sites.  

Do you like the concept, and if so, what is your favorite combination?

Here are a few to try-

Skip the expensive salad bar and pack your greens into mason jars. | 17 Yummy Batch-Cooking Meals That Will Get You Through The Week:

Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of this fad at all.

God made Lock and Lock for these type things.

Honored Contributor

I've seen them too!  Really cute and salads look delicious.  I'll have to hunt down some mason jars!

Honored Contributor

They look nice.  Not so sure mason jars are practical for multi ingredient salads.  Usually you eat a bite of this or that, not one flavor at a time.  If you dump it on a plate, then what's the point.  I do though, like dessert layered in mason jars.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing such a great post. I am excited to try some of the recipes from Jesica's site this next week. The mason jar concept is so clever. I couldn't pick a favorite. They all look yum. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

They look nice.  Not so sure mason jars are practical for multi ingredient salads.  Usually you eat a bite of this or that, not one flavor at a time.  If you dump it on a plate, then what's the point.  I do though, like dessert layered in mason jars.

This fad has been around for a while. Stuffing a bowls worth of salad in a tiny jar is as cute as can be but really impractical.  I have had the deserts in the mason jars and they are great but just as good as in any other vessel is easier to fill.  That being said the deserts were take home and you could keep the mason jar but donated mine to the church sale.  

Honored Contributor

Cute but impractical.  My only comment is: Why?  We have perfectly suited plastic containers already.

Respected Contributor

My son in law does this. They don't like to use plastic, so at night he stirs up 3 jars of refrigerator oatmeal (1 for him, 1 for my daughter-she shares hers with the 1 year old-& 1 for the 4 & 3 year old to share.

At the same time he makes 2 salads in Mason Jars. He takes one to work & leaves one for her to have if she wants it for lunch. 

I don't know what all he puts in their salads, but they seem to enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I've been doing this for years but I use a big jar and don't fill it to the brim.   Put the salad dressing on the bottom, when it's lunch time, I shake it, roll it around and mix it in the jar.   You would be surprised at how well it works.   I use canning jars often to store items at home, I don't like using anything other than glass.

I'm the entertainment at the office at lunch time   My co-workers are always curious how & why I do my salads like this.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't even consider it.    I can't imagine that whatever is on the top of the liquid will absorb too much of the flavor or become soggy.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*