Trusted Contributor

I'm looking for recipes for Pancakes used from leftover Masher potatoes. I loved them so much and they were a childhood favorite. My Mother used to make them and she passed away at a very young age. I tried to recreate them mashed potatoes and grated onions. They were just Ok and bland. I of course added S/P. I fried them in butter. Can you please share your recipes for me. Please? Thanks ever so much.

Frequent Contributor

Oh Wow Katey you brought back some memories for me also. My grandma added either Romano or Parmesan cheese, rolled them in breadcrumb and fried them. VERY dietetic! LOL My MIL adds some garlic powder to hers with the cheese. I suppose cheddar or any cheese would do. Now I want them!! LOL

Trusted Contributor

cpn2jxp I remember these and they were so good. Since she is gone so is the recipe she used. My comes from Irish heritage and I think these come from that. she loved her St. Patrick's Holiday. I wish so much I had gotten her recipes early on. I'm teaching my youngest Son my recipes so he can enjoy and share with his Brother and Sister if they want them. I try to cook her recipes from memory which is getting bad. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Respected Contributor

My grandmother used to make these and I loved them but when I try to make them they fall apart in the pan. I added egg to the potato mixture trying to hold it together but did not help. I know my grandmother did not do anything fancy but they were good.

Super Contributor
Never had any luck with these, mine always fell apart while frying so I gave up trying. My mother definitely used Romano cheese and an egg but I don't know what else, they were so good. Now I sometimes order potato croquettes from my local Italian Restaurant, they taste similar but not quite the same.
Respected Contributor
We call them potato patties and this is I my favorite food of all time. My mom took leftover mashed potAtoes and added an egg, a few spoons flour to bind it, finely minced onion,pepper and salt. Then she fried them in a skillet with oil. As soon as they were really dark crunchy golden brown on one side she flipped them. When the second side had a dark crunchy crust ,she put them on paper towels to drain and salted them liberally. Getting the crust and salting the outside is crucial !!! Oh my , I can eat them hot,cold,or anywhere in between.We had them with other things as a side...pinto beans,fried or bbq chicken, ribs,etc. I never think they are bland. If I ate only the patties as a meal,I dipped them in ketchup.I still make them but I just buy the mashed potatoes at costco and serve the first tub as bought and make potato patties with the second tub. I do t like peeling potatoes,and Costco ones are good.
Respected Contributor

My only experience is with latkes which of course use grated potatoes- anytime I have tried to make mashed potatoes pancakes, like the others' have said, they fall apart, I have tired adding egg, crumbs, flour etc, but maybe you are supposed to start with potatoes that have no butter milk etc added in the first place? (of course then you wouldn't really be using leftover mashed potatoes)

I have never tried it with just plain mashed, cooked potatoes with nothing added..cooked specifically for the purpose of making pancakes...

Respected Contributor
Btw, when I moved out and thought I was so grown(lol),I added chopped chives and cheese and served with steaks. Still delicious, but I prefer the country kind my mom makes.
Valued Contributor

If you go to www.allrecipes.com and enter mashed potato pancakes into the search box, it brings up several recipes for these. I always read the comments to see what suggestions other people have to tweak each recipe to their liking.Smile

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/14/2015 chiclet said:

My grandmother used to make these and I loved them but when I try to make them they fall apart in the pan. I added egg to the potato mixture trying to hold it together but did not help. I know my grandmother did not do anything fancy but they were good.

You need to add a couple of tablespoons of flour. I think my mom only used egg white? and not whole egg and maybe just a touch of milk.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines