Respected Contributor

@AuntG     Oh no, no refrigeration necessary.

Even frosted, mine sits on the counter in the kitchen.  As long as the house is cool/air conditioned you should be fine.

I think you'll change the texture of the cake if you put it in the frig.  It will become dense but that's just me.  I made a German Chocolate Cake and it was wonderful just sitting out, then I thought, I better put it in the frig for it to keep, that was the worse thing I ever did, it was so dense and wet not the same cake I made 2 days before, ruined it and tossed in the trash.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @Just Bling   I love chocolate and cherry together.

Going to share this pie recipe for those who like cherry/almond/chocolate.

I doubled recipe and made two of these yesterday - one for dinner guests last night, one to put in freezer.  

1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
1 frozen pie shell, baked
1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese

3/4 cup cold water
1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
Chocolate curls, optional

Directions
In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir 1/2 cup of the sweet condensed milk & chocolate until melted.  Remove from heat add in 1/4 tsp almond extract. Pour into pie shell; set aside.
Set aside eight whole cherries for garnish. Chop the remaining cherries; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in water and remaining milk. Add pudding mix and remaining extract; mix well. Fold in whipped topping. Stir in almonds and reserved chopped cherries.
Pour over the pie. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whole cherries and chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 piece (calculated without chocolate curls) equals 426 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.

Super Contributor

Thank you! This sounds really yummy! I just read the recipe to my husband. He said that does sounds good. and want to know how it would taste with cream cheese frosting??? He likes my homemaid cream cheese frosting

I was thinking fudge frosting would be better.

Respected Contributor

@BostonMommy 

If you are talking about the chocolate Cherry Cake, I have made white buttercream, chocolate buttercream and I'm sure a cream cheese frosting would work too...you can also melt some chips and scatter on top of the cream cheese frosting so you have the best of both?????

Respected Contributor

@yellowrose 

Thanks for the pie recipe, I do have everything to make this!!!!

Perfect for the weekend, I'll report back this weekend.

Thanks again.

Super Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@BostonMommy 

If you are talking about the chocolate Cherry Cake, I have made white buttercream, chocolate buttercream and I'm sure a cream cheese frosting would work too...you can also melt some chips and scatter on top of the cream cheese frosting so you have the best of both?????

Thank you! sounds so good. We do have a sweet tooth here.

New Contributor

Thank you for sharing and suggesting these yummy recipies! Making my mouth water!

Honored Contributor

I mentioned that my friend had a fudge frosting for the chocolate cherry cake, and I found the recipe. 

Add 1 cup sugar

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup butter to small saucepan, and heat till sugar is dissolved. 
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir till melted.

Spread over still warm cake. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan