Respected Contributor

Making my Favorite Cake

[ Edited ]

Still didn't buy a new Kitchenaid yet but this one is so quick , easy and delicious, I just had to make again.

Chocolate Cherry Cake

1 package Dunkin Hines Devil's Food Cake

1 can 21 oz cherry pie filling

1 teaspoon of almond extract

3 eggs, beaten

Medium/Large Size Bowl, beat your eggs (I used a whisk) add the cake mix, cherry pie filling and extract.  Stir until well blended.  (make sure that cake mix is completely blended.  Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.

It's pretty thick, I pour but then I spoonful the rest in sections of the pan that it didn't go to, this is a little hard to spread evenly but it can be done.

Bake 350 deg   25-35 minutes     mine is usually done 33-34 minutes

make sure you check with a toothpick or cake tester to make sure the center is baked.

Don't open the oven while baking, I have a habit of doing that and my cake falls in the center so don't do it!  

Cool and frost as you like or leave plain.  Stays about 5 days if it lasts that long.  Pretty moist and good.  Enjoy, mines just about ready to come out of the oven.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling ...this really sounds good. Thanks!   I will try it sometime.  It reminds me of a recipe I have that also calls for Devil's Food Cake Mix, chocolate pudding, chocolate-chips, eggs, etc.  Like your recipe,  it is so moist you do not need frosting.  I sprinkle mine with Confectioner's Sugar.

Now I'm hungry for cake!!  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Still didn't buy a new Kitchenaid yet but this one is so quick , easy and delicious, I just had to make again.

Chocolate Cherry Cake

1 package Dunkin Hines Devil's Food Cake

1 can 21 oz cherry pie filling

1 teaspoon of almond extract

3 eggs, beaten

Medium/Large Size Bowl, beat your eggs (I used a whisk) add the cake mix, cherry pie filling and extract.  Stir until well blended.  (make sure that cake mix is completely blended.  Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.

It's pretty thick, I pour but then I spoonful the rest in sections of the pan that it didn't go to, this is a little hard to spread evenly but it can be done.

Bake 350 deg   25-35 minutes     mine is usually done 33-34 minutes

make sure you check with a toothpick or cake tester to make sure the center is baked.

Don't open the oven while baking, I have a habit of doing that and my cake falls in the center so don't do it!  

Cool and frost as you like or leave plain.  Stays about 5 days if it lasts that long.  Pretty moist and good.  Enjoy, mines just about ready to come out of the oven.

A friend of mine makes this cake with an insanely rich , fudge frosting. Yum.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Just Bling  This reminds me of somthing I made many, many years ago and when I  resort to a cake mix Duncan Hines is my favorite.  This might even be the recipe I am recalling.

I always love almond extract with chocolate or cherry.  I think I used to add a tablespoon of  kirsch liqueur to it.

I think I'd offer fresh whipped cream on the side for guests who want to gild the lily.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Just Bling  This reminds me of somthing I made many, many years ago and when I  resort to a cake mix Duncan Hines is my favorite.  This might even be the recipe I am recalling.

I always love almond extract with chocolate or cherry.  I think I used to add a tablespoon of  kirsch liqueur to it.

I think I'd offer fresh whipped cream on the side for guests who want to gild the lily.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

YES, to the almond extract, kirsch, and whipped cream!!!

Honored Contributor

I could do that. All ingredients are on the shelf.

Respected Contributor

Re: Making my Favorite Cake

[ Edited ]

OMG, that is my favorite combination.   I have to make it, low carb diet or not.  It sounds sooooo great. 

I wonder how it freezes, cut into squares.

Honored Contributor

Made your recipe this morning and it was perfect. Topped it with chocolate frosting for the chocoholic in our house. Thought it might look like one of those "dump it together" cakes, but it looked just like a regular cake. Thanks @Just Bling !

Respected Contributor

@AuntG   Who's cake mix did you use...I found Dunkin Hines gives you a higher cake than Pillsbury.

It gets better tomorrow, will be OK for about 5 days if it lasts that long!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Yes, DH Devils Food @Just Bling. My own DH just proclaimed it excellent. Now I'm going to cover and refrigerate it. We'll have it as dessert for several days - sometimes with ice cream on the side!