Honored Contributor

Making Apple Cake Ahead And Freezing

My son-in-law loves my apple cake recipe (it was my mother-in-law's) and I promised him I would make it for Easter.  I am having Easter here and have had some health problems so am trying to make Easter as simple as possible.  I was wondering if I could make this cake several days ahead and freeze it? It has lots of chopped apples and nuts and is quite heavy....an old fashion recipe...(It's even called Nobby Apple Cake).  The warm sauce that goes over it is simple so I would make that fresh the morning of.

Honored Contributor

Re: Making Apple Cake Ahead And Freezing

@jubilant My experience has shown that many desserts - especially heavier cakes are best when they are made ahead of time as they get tastier.

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant

I don't see why you couldn't freeze it.  It should be fine.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

Thank you both for answering.  I don't bake many cakes as we are kind of a pie family.  It is good to know that I can. Doing everything the day of and the day before last time....well....it took me 3 days to recuperate last time I did that!  My daughter is helping out with potatoes and another dessert so that helps, too.  

Honored Contributor

I love the name of the recipe--  "Nobby Apple Cake".   Sounds like a delicious dessert that would be consumed at tea in a Dickens novel....

Honored Contributor

@jubilant

I love fresh apple cake, care to share your recipe, pretty please??Heart

I agree that dense cakes freeze very well, then you can freshly glaze it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

My husband loves a similar type of cake. I have not had good luck freezing it. When I take it out, it somehow just doesn't taste right and the texture is "mealy". But I froze them for longer periods of time than from now until Easter. You probably would be ok for that amount of time, especially with fresh, warm sauce over it.

I say do anything that makes your life easier and have extra warm sauce on hand just in case....warm sauce fixes everything

Honored Contributor

Just to make it a few days ahead of time would not require freezing at all. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Just to make it a few days ahead of time would not require freezing at all. 

@Pook

I agree. I missed the part where she's only making it a couple of days in advance, in which case refrigerating it would be fine.

But I still want the recipe, LOL!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom

OK....here it is!  This is the original recipe.  It makes an 8x8 cake so I just double it for a 13x9 pan. Bake at 350-375 depending on oven.

Nobby Apple Cake 

2 c. diced apples              

1 c. white sugar
1 egg 

1 c. flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
1 c. pecans (chopped)

Pour sugar over apples. Let stand 45 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and stir. Pour into greased pan.  Bake 40 minutes or till done.

Topping

1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. butter
2 T. flour (I use more like 3 T.)
3/4 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine and cook over low heat.  Stir till clear. stirring constantly.

My SIL likes it just like this.  If I am making it for other people I add some cinnamon to it just because I like cinnamon with anything apple.