Respected Contributor

Re: Make your own baby formula

[ Edited ]

Saw a TV news report yesterday about hospitals being very concerned about the status of some babies who are landing in their care in poor condition.

Two specific ones were babies unfortunately born with something called "short bowel syndrome" which prevents them from digesting regular formula.  It was described as a very serious problem that hospitals are facing if  proper formulations of baby food are not available.

The right formula for the right baby  is the right formula---apparently no exceptions when a baby needs it.

Any thought that babies can survive on Karo syrup mixtures and other homemade  solutions seems totally based on opinion, not science.

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags Based on recent polling, it is clear that many Americans' brains did not develop just fine.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Saw a TV news report yesterday about hospitals being very concerned about the status of some babies who are landing in their care in poor condition.

Two specific ones were babies unfortunately born with something called "short bowel syndrome" which prevents them from digesting regular formula.  It was described as a very serious problem that hospitals are facing if  proper formulations of baby food are not available.

The right formula for the right baby  is the right formula---apparently no exceptions when a baby needs it.

Any thought that babies can survive on Karo syrup mixtures and other homemade  solutions seems totally based on opinion, not science.

@novamc1 

I'm still shocked to think that people used to feed babies condensed milk and concentrated sugar syrup!   

(I also wonder if that contributed to an increase of diabetes in children?)

Yes, babies could "survive" on that mixture short term, I guess, but why would anyone feed a baby something with no nurtitional value?  Who would ever do that?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

As one who consumed that evaporated milk and Karo syrup formula, along with a daily dose of cod liver oil, I do question that as a nutritious formula for babies, but I am using the knowledge I have now at 66, to know that nutrition has come a long way with identifying what vitamins and minerals are needed for our bodies at different stages of life.    

Young mothers today are doing the same thing my mother and mother-in-law did in the 1950's, relying on medical advice as to proper nutrition for their children.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

Maybe some soon to be mothers will considered breastfeeding b/c of this formula shortage.  With proper, compassionate encouragement and support, breastfeeding can be an easy and pleasant way to feed your baby.  I don't think women in the US get enough of right kind of support for breastfeeding. I breastfeed my oldest DD exclusively for 6 months.   I worked part time so I pumped while at work and my mom who babysat gave her bottles of breastmilk.   She had reflux that went undiagnosed for too long and eating was uncomfortable so she ate less and my supply tanked so she went on specialized formula.  Youngest DD also breastfeed exclusively ( I wasn't working then so she never had a bottle)  for 6 months until I got very ill and had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time.  I was heavily medicated and could not use any milk I pumped so she had to go on formula.

Had those experiences not happened I believe I would have breastfed for the entire first year of their lives then transitioned them to whole milk in a cup. 

@ninjawife 

I understand your point, but for any number of reasons, it's not for everyone.  I also recall some very insistent people from La leche had to be thrown out of a friend's hospital room after giving birth.   Maybe you had a positive experience with them, but not everyone wants them around.

@Tinkrbl44 

I never said I was involved with La Leche League.  I never had any assoiciation with them.  The support I was referring to was the support of my family and employer.  I also received support from Nursing Mothers who helped me get a superior breast pump.  I don't think anyone should be pressured to breast feed but I don't think that in the US it is promoted or supported enough which is why many new mothers do not chose to breast feed. 

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I wish people would stop with the "make your own formula". 

Well meaning but not helpful.

I have a stake in this shortage.  My first grandson will be 3 weeks old on Monday and I wouldn't even think of telling my daughter to whip up some concoction in the kitchen to feed him.

We have enough here to hopefully get through until stores are able to fully restock and I'm not sorry. 

Apparently some people didn't read all the way through. I said...

CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR...

I

...or words to that effect. I would NEVER try to concoct baby formula without expert advice. 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags @I notice that my evaporated milk had different ingredients than it used to have. I don't think that this is a reason being given by experts but the newer recipe upset my stomach when I was using it in coffee. 

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

Maybe some soon to be mothers will considered breastfeeding b/c of this formula shortage.  With proper, compassionate encouragement and support, breastfeeding can be an easy and pleasant way to feed your baby.  I don't think women in the US get enough of right kind of support for breastfeeding. I breastfeed my oldest DD exclusively for 6 months.   I worked part time so I pumped while at work and my mom who babysat gave her bottles of breastmilk.   She had reflux that went undiagnosed for too long and eating was uncomfortable so she ate less and my supply tanked so she went on specialized formula.  Youngest DD also breastfeed exclusively ( I wasn't working then so she never had a bottle)  for 6 months until I got very ill and had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time.  I was heavily medicated and could not use any milk I pumped so she had to go on formula.

Had those experiences not happened I believe I would have breastfed for the entire first year of their lives then transitioned them to whole milk in a cup. 

@ninjawife 

I understand your point, but for any number of reasons, it's not for everyone.  I also recall some very insistent people from La leche had to be thrown out of a friend's hospital room after giving birth.   Maybe you had a positive experience with them, but not everyone wants them around.

@Tinkrbl44 

I never said I was involved with La Leche League.  I never had any assoiciation with them.  The support I was referring to was the support of my family and employer.  I also received support from Nursing Mothers who helped me get a superior breast pump.  I don't think anyone should be pressured to breast feed but I don't think that in the US it is promoted or supported enough which is why many new mothers do not chose to breast feed. 

@ninjawife 

Ok ...    but I never said I thought you were involved with them.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@ninjawife 

@Tinkrbl44 

@ninjawife 

@Tinkrbl44 It was implied that I was.  Regardless, it has nothing to do with the point of my post.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@ninjawife 

@Tinkrbl44 

@ninjawife 

@Tinkrbl44 It was implied that I was.  Regardless, it has nothing to do with the point of my post.

@ninjawife 

Implied?   I went back an re-read the comment and don't see any "implication".  Honestly, it never even crossed my mind that you might have been involved with them, so not sure why you would think that.

Anyway, have a nice day.