Honored Contributor

Re: Make your own baby formula

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Years ago I sat next to a grocery executive on a cross country flight, and she was a wealth of information.   

She said that in every one of their grocery stores, nationwide, baby formula is the number one shoplifted item in stores.  Explains why it's now often found in locked glass cabinets.

@Tinkrbl44 one box of Enfamil NeuroPro powder that will make 56 4 ounce bottles is $46.99.  A 32 ounce container of the ready made is between $9.49 & $10.99 depending on where you buy it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I noticed in today's morning newspaper that the Food & Drug Administration advises against trying to make-your-own  formula, which "might lack essential nutrients".

One factor behind today's shortage is  bacterial contamination found in several recalled types of formula made by Abbott, which sickened some babies earlier this year.

Production was shut down and hasn't resumed to the extent necessary.

FDA has informed Abbott that it has no objection to the company immediately releasing product to individuals needing "urgent, life-sustaining supplies" of specialized formulas.

Abbott has a phone number to call to request the product on a case-by-case basis.

I wonder if a home brew would even be  adequately digestible in such a young baby.

To me, it seems safe to assume  that  any home-improvised formula would be used  at the parent's and baby's own risk.  The risk/benefit ratio of those odds would bother me.

People, including babies,  now live longer and grow bigger and stronger than previous generations, largely because of scientific research and greater knowledge about health and nutrition.

We shouldn't go back to the old days and turn the kitchen into a formula factory, should we?  Unless it's under extreme circumstances, of course......there's nothing worse to think about than a starving infant.

Respected Contributor

Maybe some soon to be mothers will considered breastfeeding b/c of this formula shortage.  With proper, compassionate encouragement and support, breastfeeding can be an easy and pleasant way to feed your baby.  I don't think women in the US get enough of right kind of support for breastfeeding. I breastfeed my oldest DD exclusively for 6 months.   I worked part time so I pumped while at work and my mom who babysat gave her bottles of breastmilk.   She had reflux that went undiagnosed for too long and eating was uncomfortable so she ate less and my supply tanked so she went on specialized formula.  Youngest DD also breastfeed exclusively ( I wasn't working then so she never had a bottle)  for 6 months until I got very ill and had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time.  I was heavily medicated and could not use any milk I pumped so she had to go on formula.

Had those experiences not happened I believe I would have breastfed for the entire first year of their lives then transitioned them to whole milk in a cup. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to a Washington Post story I just saw this morning, anyone needing one of the specialized formulas made by Abbott can call 1-800-881-0876.

The FDA warns, however, that the products were made at the Michigan plant  where safety concerns were raised and  "carry a risk" of contamination.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

People in this country will fall for anything now.  Really?  Babies can't be healthy without commercially made food?  That is simply THE most outrageous load of hogwash I have ever heard. 

How in the name of Pete do they think humans have survived for thousands and thousands around the world without USA made commercial baby food?

We will believe anything now. Good people, brilliant people, common folk, criminals and Einstein, St. Matthew, Plato, George Washington and a few others managed to live and do ok.  

This is really insulting...

@CelticCrafter It is insulting to me say that babies cannot grow and prosper without commercially produced baby food.  Isn't that insulting to every poor country on the face of the earth and the millions of people who do not have access to USA baby food and raise wonderful people?  

I sure think it is! 

Honored Contributor

I've read you can try nursing again but you may be unsuccessful.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

Maybe some soon to be mothers will considered breastfeeding b/c of this formula shortage.  With proper, compassionate encouragement and support, breastfeeding can be an easy and pleasant way to feed your baby.  I don't think women in the US get enough of right kind of support for breastfeeding. I breastfeed my oldest DD exclusively for 6 months.   I worked part time so I pumped while at work and my mom who babysat gave her bottles of breastmilk.   She had reflux that went undiagnosed for too long and eating was uncomfortable so she ate less and my supply tanked so she went on specialized formula.  Youngest DD also breastfeed exclusively ( I wasn't working then so she never had a bottle)  for 6 months until I got very ill and had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time.  I was heavily medicated and could not use any milk I pumped so she had to go on formula.

Had those experiences not happened I believe I would have breastfed for the entire first year of their lives then transitioned them to whole milk in a cup. 

@ninjawife 

I understand your point, but for any number of reasons, it's not for everyone.  I also recall some very insistent people from La leche had to be thrown out of a friend's hospital room after giving birth.   Maybe you had a positive experience with them, but not everyone wants them around.

Honored Contributor

What's the alternative?  Let the kid starve?  Sometimes you just have to wonder.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Yes the LaLache League is still in business.  My friend in VT is a lactation nurse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@ninjawife 

I understand your point, but for any number of reasons, it's not for everyone.  I also recall some very insistent people from La leche had to be thrown out of a friend's hospital room after giving birth.   Maybe you had a positive experience with them, but not everyone wants them around.

The hospital where my grandson was born doesn't allow them in hospital rooms unless the mother requests to see them.

I don't know if that has always been their rule or if it's a covid thing.

When my daughter was born I remember them being bullies.