Valued Contributor

Re: Make your own baby formula

@sann wrote:

Don't do anything like this before talking with your Pediatrician .....

ITA

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

They dont want you to make it because you will discover it's cheaper and works the same.  Simple as that. Of couse breast milk is the best but back in the day that wasn't encouraged and not every woman produces enough.   Then they came out with the ready made formula.  And new mothers liked the ease of the cans. There are powedered milk, canned milks, different flavored and types of milk just like there are various types of baby formula. 

There is no reason why you cannot period.  Actually the ingredients are far better now than they were "back in the day".  We're the kids that drank from the water hose.  Now they tell you that it will cause all sorts of issues. We turned out just fine.   I have had a doctor come clean and say that yes they are pressured to "push" certain things when they can.  Anyone who doesn't believe that doctors push certain pharmacuticals or are influenced by the board of directors of the hospitals of which they are affiliated with is fooling themselves.  

Yep!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well my only advice would be to get a solution from your pediatrician. Infants have very immature digestive systems so I wouldn't be playing around with that.  Yes, most of us born in the 50's were fed a formula that mom mixed up. I still have the formula recipe in my baby book from 1956 that the pediatrician recommended at every stage of my development. But it wasn't my babchi in the kitchen mixing her own concoction.  

My daughter breast fed all of her children with much success. I tried with all 4 of my kids and it wasn't for me. It took so long for my milk to come in and I wasn't patient enough to hang in there. 

By the way, I do believe a woman can start lactating again by pumping with a hospital grade pump to get her milk supply going. The only thing is it takes a while. Again, that's a phone call to a lactation consultant or doctor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember my mother saying that making your own formula was a pain until you were able to perfect it.  I think it had to do with the boiling point but I'm not sure.  The effects on the baby  would be diarrhea   or gas or an upset stomach.  But babies were not kept on formula for as long as they are in this day and age.  They went on whole milk early as well as actual food.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I've been seeing all over the news that they aren't recommending anyone making their own formula. Also, don't water down what you have.

But have reasons been given for why? Seems to me that if it worked for our moms, it would still work now. Reminds me of something else that happened in the last two years.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Your mother may have had the advantage of a mix.  If you were born before mixes, doctors were prescribing liquid vitamins in addition to evaporated milk.

Now we have learned so much more about brain development, and the nutrients needed. Baby formulas are balanced to give a baby all they need, which is why they don't want you to make your own formula.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I've been seeing all over the news that they aren't recommending anyone making their own formula. Also, don't water down what you have.

But have reasons been given for why? Seems to me that if it worked for our moms, it would still work now. Reminds me of something else that happened in the last two years.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Your mother may have had the advantage of a mix.  If you were born before mixes, doctors were prescribing liquid vitamins in addition to evaporated milk.

Now we have learned so much more about brain development, and the nutrients needed. Baby formulas are balanced to give a baby all they need, which is why they don't want you to make your own formula.

So all previous generations have been dumb as rocks because what they were given wasn't sufficient for proper brain development?? Hogwash! People need to see this situation as a wake up call and realize there are other options.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

@catter70    I've heard that too and I think of the millions of us who were raised on homemade formulas and are now hale and hardy seniors doing just fine.  What do they think bottle babies ate before there was neatly packaged formula or during WWII?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud 

I was also told this same thing by my ophthalmologist when I wanted to go to a new optical chain store to buy contacts, he didn't want to give me my prescription. They were about 50% cheaper.

I was told that they were not the same the quality, inferior material, could damage my eyes, blah blah blah which was a big lie.   People now know that you can order glasses/contacts online, go to Costco, go to Walmarts, etc. They have a big dollar investment in women and doctors worried about the liability of suggesting anything except their formulas, well guess why that plant in Michigan shut down, contamination that was fatal to a number of babies.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum My ophthalmologist always gives me the prescription with my exam.  NO questions ask, I don't have to ask for it. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Bhvbum My ophthalmologist always gives me the prescription with my exam.  NO questions ask, I don't have to ask for it. 

They do now,  30 years ago they didn't.