Valued Contributor

If you're interested in making your on baby formula till the stores get more on their shelves, I just searched the internet and there are lots of sites with recipes for making you own. There's so many links that I didn't save any to post here but take a look... you might find something that suits you and your baby.

I don't know how labor intensive (although I remember back in the late '40s and 50's, she made her own) and/or how pricey the ingredients are, but it might be a substitue till the commercial brands are back. And of course, check with you baby's doctor before you give it to her.

While I was doing this, I got to wondering if you've stopped nursing and wish could breastfeed, is there anything you can do or your doctor can do start lactation again. Anyone know?

Good luck to you all.

Respected Contributor

Re: Make your own baby formula

I've been seeing all over the news that they aren't recommending anyone making their own formula. Also, don't water down what you have.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I've been seeing all over the news that they aren't recommending anyone making their own formula. Also, don't water down what you have.

But have reasons been given for why? Seems to me that if it worked for our moms, it would still work now. Reminds me of something else that happened in the last two years.

Honored Contributor

Of course there have to be ways to feed babies without commercial formula.  Seems pretty obvious doesn't it?

Respected Contributor

Don't do anything like this before talking with your Pediatrician .....

Trusted Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

But have reasons been given for why? Seems to me that if it worked for our moms, it would still work now. Reminds me of something else that happened in the last two years.

What is that?

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I wish someone would clearly explain why my generation was able to thrive on these home made formulas and today's babies would not be able to use them even temporarily.  I've read references to proper brain development, but many of today's scientists, inventors, leaders were reared at a time when most babies were fed homemade formula.  And their brains clearly developed just fine. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I was wondering as well snce I always heard or saw my mom and aunts making baby food back in the day which I am sure they got it from my grandmother(s).

I heard on the news that if you make your own you may be missing certain nutrients.  Since pediatricians should be aware of this issue they can provide some guidance hopefully since it's a temporary situation.

Honored Contributor

If this issue isn't resolved I don't see what choice parents have other than making their own. Babies obviously need nutrition for survival.
Trusted Contributor

They dont want you to make it because you will discover it's cheaper and works the same.  Simple as that. Of couse breast milk is the best but back in the day that wasn't encouraged and not every woman produces enough.   Then they came out with the ready made formula.  And new mothers liked the ease of the cans. There are powedered milk, canned milks, different flavored and types of milk just like there are various types of baby formula. 

There is no reason why you cannot period.  Actually the ingredients are far better now than they were "back in the day".  We're the kids that drank from the water hose.  Now they tell you that it will cause all sorts of issues. We turned out just fine.   I have had a doctor come clean and say that yes they are pressured to "push" certain things when they can.  Anyone who doesn't believe that doctors push certain pharmacuticals or are influenced by the board of directors of the hospitals of which they are affiliated with is fooling themselves.