Honored Contributor

Re: Make these Blueberry Cream Muffins from Allrecipes

@Tigriss

I haven't made the muffins but using math -

2 cups of sugar = 32 tablespoons

32 TBS divided by 24 muffins = 1.3 TBS per muffin

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but my breeds of blueberries have a male and female bush. You need one of each to produce. It generally takes 3 years after planing for them to fruit. I spent many of summer working in the blueberries fields. My hometown is the blueberry capital of Georgia. We always have them. I have a freezer full right now.
Respected Contributor

@Yahooey I know, I did the math. Add the sugar to the naturally sweet berries and that is sweet! I might half the recipe and reduce half or 2/3 the sugar and taste the batter to see how that is and take into account the berries sweetness.
Valued Contributor

@ Barbarainnc- These muffins were delicious. I made them to serve along with Cobb salad.  Super moist. My blueberries were the size of grapes and very tasty... maybe because they were organic. Thank you for the recipe. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc

@Nightowlz

Thank you for posting the recipe - I have a standard muffin recipe that I love, but I'm a sucker for sour cream recipes. I will be sure to try it sooner than later.

ETA: I always halve the sugar in muffin recipes and I've never had a problem because of it.  When I make these, i'll use half the sugar and let you know how that turned out.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Barbarainnc

@Nightowlz

Thank you for posting the recipe - I have a standard muffin recipe that I love, but I'm a sucker for sour cream recipes. I will be sure to try it sooner than later.

ETA: I always halve the sugar in muffin recipes and I've never had a problem because of it.  When I make these, i'll use half the sugar and let you know how that turned out.

@house_cat

Thanks. Please do post how they turn out with half the sugar. I was reading about using less sugar. Up to half is ok but more then that you are looking for possible tunneling, muffins that don't brown as well, not rise like it should etc. Interesting write up about them on King Arthur site with pictures. They made muffins with 25%, 50% 75% & 100% sugar so they could do a comparison. The muffins made with 25% sugar did not turn out so well. They looked terrible.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

I would like to know how sweet these are.  I detoxed from sugar the summer of 07', and it made me super sensitive to sugars compared to the apparent "normal" amount Americans use.  I can't drink a soda without getting a sugar-induced headache, so I tend to cut most baked recipes by half when it comes to sugar.  I also went caffeine free at the same time.  I'm telling you, sugar is a drug!  I was a witch for two weeks, but worth it.  I didn't lose weight, but I wasn't eating that much anyway, though I was hitting the soda and could down a 6 pack in a day, of soda that is.  That was the main form of sugar I ate.  I just cut those obvious forms and quite buying candies and things.  I now make a gallon of tea with 1/2 to 3/4c of sugar since it gets sweeter the next day.  I rarely bake anymore because of it, but the last package mix of muffins was just too sweet.  I can't really have caffeine after lunch or I'm up all night!  I drink decaffeinated tea, but even that has 5-8mg of caffeine in it, so mind how much you drink.  I pretty much only drink it when I dine out and get 3/4 unsweet and 1/4 sweet since people in the south like it to be like syrup.

My sister's MIL is baking me a birthday cake since I turn "older" tomorrow.  I asked for a sour cream pound cake with berries and whipped cream.  That is about the only cake I do eat and make any more.  I use 1/2 the sugar it calls for, and no one misses it.  I wonder if this one would be the same especially with fresh berries in it!  I don't put sugar on my fruit for the topping either.  I just cook some of them down with a bit of water and mix in some fresh berries, then top with real whipped cream.

@Tigriss

I have never reduced the sugar so don't know how much to reduce it. I don't think the muffins are overly sweet. I would not cut by more then half.

I was reading about using less sugar. Up to half is ok but more then that you are looking for possible tunneling, muffins that don't brown as well, not rise like it should etc. Interesting write up about them on King Arthur site with pictures. They made muffins with 25%, 50% 75% & 100% sugar so they could do a comparison. The muffins made with 25% sugar did not turn out so well. They looked terrible. Let us know how they turn out & how much sugar you used if you try them.

Honored Contributor

It'll be time to get our blueberries soon.  We just have to ride out and get them.  May give these a try, sure do look good.  

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
@NightowlzI'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but my breeds of blueberries have a male and female bush. You need one of each to produce. It generally takes 3 years after planing for them to fruit. I spent many of summer working in the blueberries fields. My hometown is the blueberry capital of Georgia. We always have them. I have a freezer full right now.

@Tigriss

LOL!!! We only had one. Nobody told us we needed to buy 2. Maybe we will try it again. I will do a little research.

Respected Contributor

@Barbarainnc, based on your recommendation for the fluffy pancakes (which were to die for!), I got the stuff today to make these this weekend!

@Nightowlz, your muffins turned out SO pretty!  Did you fill your muffin wells to the top like Barbarainnc did?