Honored Contributor

Re: Make these Blueberry Cream Muffins from Allrecipes

Those look yummy @Yahooey

I made some more today. DH wanted to know what he was going to eat for breakfast.

I put turbinado sugar on top of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz

First, I'd like to say I think you are so kind and helpful on these boards!!  You always post recipes for people and follow up with great suggestions!  I recently used a veg oil based recipe for muffins that only required a whisk and it has come to be my new fav.   I put your suggestion for a whisk right on the recipe.  No butter, so no KA needed! 

Second...How on earth have I missed this thread??!!  These muffins look delicious!  Thanks @Barbarainnc for starting this thread.   

Third...I was wondering...all pics show muffins liners.  I never bother with them.

Do you all regularly use them?  I just spray so was wondering about the paper liners?

And last...as I was digging through my huge collection of recipes in the muffin section....I found a tip I had copied and forgotten all about!

If you like your muffins to be domed such as in Tim Hortons/Dunkin Donuts....

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees no matter what the recipe states.  The minute you put them in, reduced to the degrees as written.  Bake as written.  It worked!  They had beautiful domes on top like a pro did them.

I always put the turbinado raw suger on top before baking.  I like the suggestion of maybe reducing the sugar IN the muffins a bit.

I also rarely bake the full time suggested, even the low end.  I set the timer for 3-4 mins. under the lowest and am almost always pleased with it early.  Muffins and breads are so easy to dry out!  It is quite possible my new ovens run hot...but the temp gauge I am using says it is accurate.

Respected Contributor

Wonder if your tip to preheat the oven to 425*, then reduce to the called for baking temp. would work for cupcakes to get them to dome??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc@RespectLife

I use liners for easier cleanup

when I made the first batch - I used only the amt of blueberries the recipe calls fall and the muffins domed after the 20 minute baking time.

the 2nd batch - I used 2x the amount of blueberries and opened the oven door afte 20 minutes - it was still raw looking - baked another 5 minutes - opened door and it wasn't brown on top - baked another 5 minutes and it was brown on top and much fllatter on the top.

All that door opening let the heat out ad flatten the domes I had on the first batch.

Yes - I believe the higher temps and NOT opening the door until fully baked might do the trick - 

lmk if any of you have success - I will baked them again but just not soon

they both taste delicious - but the first batch was prettier on the outside and the 2nd batch was prettier on the inside (more blueberries)

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc wrote:

Wonder if your tip to preheat the oven to 425*, then reduce to the called for baking temp. would work for cupcakes to get them to dome??

Hmmm @Barbarainnc

Good question, I wonder?  I don't make cupcakes too often but I would give it a try!  If they come out ugly, I will set them aside and make my husband eat them!  Tee hee!

Wish  I could give credit for that tip...I just wrote in down on paper and stuck it at the beginning of my 'muffin' section.  It had to be around 5 years ago I found it somewhere.  That's around the time I made my recipe notebooks.  Now I just leave them all in my computer!

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Yahooey

Cleanup makes sense.  I guess I always worried they would stick to the paper.

Cupcakes I always line, muffins I never line. 

I think if I share the muffins, they would be more 'clean' in papers too.  Less fingers touching 'nakey' sides of food.  I should keep that in mind should I be sending them to others.

When the muffins are just for us, I guess I didn't care.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@Nightowlz

First, I'd like to say I think you are so kind and helpful on these boards!!  You always post recipes for people and follow up with great suggestions!  I recently used a veg oil based recipe for muffins that only required a whisk and it has come to be my new fav.   I put your suggestion for a whisk right on the recipe.  No butter, so no KA needed! 

Second...How on earth have I missed this thread??!!  These muffins look delicious!  Thanks @Barbarainnc for starting this thread.   

Third...I was wondering...all pics show muffins liners.  I never bother with them.

Do you all regularly use them?  I just spray so was wondering about the paper liners?

And last...as I was digging through my huge collection of recipes in the muffin section....I found a tip I had copied and forgotten all about!

If you like your muffins to be domed such as in Tim Hortons/Dunkin Donuts....

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees no matter what the recipe states.  The minute you put them in, reduced to the degrees as written.  Bake as written.  It worked!  They had beautiful domes on top like a pro did them.

I always put the turbinado raw suger on top before baking.  I like the suggestion of maybe reducing the sugar IN the muffins a bit.

I also rarely bake the full time suggested, even the low end.  I set the timer for 3-4 mins. under the lowest and am almost always pleased with it early.  Muffins and breads are so easy to dry out!  It is quite possible my new ovens run hot...but the temp gauge I am using says it is accurate.

@RespectLife

Thank you just trying to help. I know not everyone has an easy time using a computer.

I like using just 2 bowls & a whisk to make muffins with other then measuring spoons & cups. I'm for less clean up that's for sure. LOL!!! I just know that over mixing is not good.

I do the same when I make banana bread.

As for muffin liners I have always used them. Guess I don't really need them. It also makes for easier clean up.

Thanks for the tip on making the muffins with a dome. I will try it next time.

Someone made the muffins & reduced the sugar so you can go by what was posted on that. I have reduced it some but not but half.

I should try it with half brown sugar half white sugar. I did that with the sour cream banana bread I made.

I got the Turbinado Sugar Tip from Meredith (Blue Jean Chef).

It's really good on banana bread.

I set my timer for a few mins earlier also. I just check with a toothpick to make sure it's done in the middle.

Have fun baking. I'm sure you will love these muffins since they are so good.

We have been reheating them in the air fryer since next day the muffins get moist. The air fryer makes them crisp up a little on top.

I started using about 1 1/2 cups blueberries in the recipe. I like the small wild blueberries so I started using them. I found a large 40 oz bag of frozen blueberries.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Thanks @Yahooey

Cleanup makes sense.  I guess I always worried they would stick to the paper.

Cupcakes I always line, muffins I never line. 

I think if I share the muffins, they would be more 'clean' in papers too.  Less fingers touching 'nakey' sides of food.  I should keep that in mind should I be sending them to others.

When the muffins are just for us, I guess I didn't care.

@RespectLife @Yahooey

The only thing with the muffin liners is you do have to wait for the muffin to cool before you can remove it easily. I use the tinfoil liners since they remove from those so much easier IMO.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: CAN I FREEZE THESE MUFFINS?

I want to make these for overnight company coming, but do them in advance.  Can I put them in the freezer to keep??  TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: CAN I FREEZE THESE MUFFINS?

They don't last long enough to freeze. I made these for my mom a full match made 32 for me. I froze them in zippered sandwich bags. She takes 1 out each morning, takes off the foil liner and nukes it. In your case I'd take them out early enough to thaw them, warm them up if you like. Nothing better than hot bread and butter.