Esteemed Contributor

Re: Make ahead Breakfast Casserole Recipes?

This was in my email today from Betty Crocker

Apple Dumpling French Toast Bake

Make-ahead easy and special-occasion worthy, flaky croissants and brown-sugar baked apples are the stars of this two-in-one morning favorite.

Apple Dumpling French Toast Bake

Prep Time 15 min Total Time 60 min Servings 8

Ingredients

2 Granny Smith apples, diced

2/3 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

5 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix

6 small croissants, torn in bite-size pieces

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with baking spray. Set aside.

In 10-inch skillet, sauté apples with sugars until apples are tender and sugar is caramelized. Add vanilla, and stir. Remove from heat.

While apples are cooking, in small bowl, mix butter with cinnamon and ginger.

In large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Beat in Bisquick® mix and butter mixture with whisk. Add in pieces of croissant; allow them to soak while apples cook.

When apples are ready, add apple mixture to soaking croissants. Stir to combine. Pour into baking dish.

Bake 45 minutes. Serve hot.

Expert Tips

Not a fan of apples? Try this recipe with peaches or pears. Either makes an excellent substitute.

Too much to do in the morning? No problem! This casserole can be prepared the night before and reheated when you need it. Go ahead and sleep in!

Here is a LINK

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

On 11/28/2014 Jules5280 said:

My aunt used to make this breakfast casserole and everyone always enjoyed it. It doesn't take long to prepare, and I'm not sure I would make it the night before because the bread would get soggy. If you had all the ingredients ready to put together the baking time is what takes the longest.

6 eggs, whipped

2 cups milk

1 tsp salt

Tobasco or hot sauce to taste (optional)

6 slices of bread

1 lb. fried sausage OR 8 to 10 slices of crumbled bacon OR shaved ham

1 can chopped green chiles

2 cups grated cheese (can use any cheese you prefer but I make it with a mix of cheddar and monterey jack)

Place bread slices in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Mix first 4 ingredients together and pour over bread. Add cooked meat, chiles and cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Thanks Jules, sound yummy!!

Trusted Contributor

On 11/28/2014 luvitall said: The pioneer woman has an amazing recipe for overnight cinammon raisin bread French toast casserole...it is delicious!! I would post the link, but don't know how, lol...Google it and you will see it. My family went crazy over it, even the "picky" ones!

I saw that recipe and it did sound delicious. I've never made it but I love French toast and cinnamon raisin bread so I need to give that a try. Thanks for the reminder.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/08/cinnamon-raisin-french-toast/

Super Contributor

We enjoy this recipe for dinner sometimes. When making the salmon version, I like to add asparagus. The Ham version is excellent with homemade salsa. Makes a really nice presentation. So easy to do!

Salmon (or Ham) Croissant Breakfast Casserole

6 -8 plain croissants, day old is fine

• 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (or your favorite good melting cheese)
  • 4 ounces smoked salmon or 4 ounces cooked ham, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
  • 12 large eggs
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

1. Butter a 9 x 13 inch ovenproof dish& set aside.
  • Slice the croissants in half (as if you were making a sandwich)& reserve the top halves.
  • Cube the bottom halves& place in a very large mixing bowl.
  1. Mix in the cheese, salmon (or ham)& chives; set aside.
  2. Mix eggs, milk& seasonings in a separate bowl; add to the croissant mixture & combine well.
  3. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
  4. Arrange the reserved croissant halves on top of the casserole.
  5. Gently press into the egg mixture to ensure that they get moistened.
  6. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight; then bring to room temp before baking
  7. Bake in a reheated 350F oven for 50 minutes to an hour or until puffed up & golden brown.
Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much for all the great replies - I am excited to try them and will definitely be o.k. For Xmas breakfasts. Than you so much all.
Super Contributor

My recipe from post #13 can be cut in half to serve 4-6 people. I prepared in a pretty, large, round fluted stoneware pie dish using the mini crossiants - cover w/foil last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched a slew of Bobby Flay's brunch programs and he's made a number of fritatas and breakfast type casseroles. Take a look on the Food Network site, specifically for Bobby Flay brunch recipes. I know you'll find something great there.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/28/2014 madcity411 said:

My aunt used to make this breakfast casserole and everyone always enjoyed it. It doesn't take long to prepare, and I'm not sure I would make it the night before because the bread would get soggy. If you had all the ingredients ready to put together the baking time is what takes the longest.

6 eggs, whipped

2 cups milk

1 tsp salt

Tobasco or hot sauce to taste (optional)

6 slices of bread

1 lb. fried sausage OR 8 to 10 slices of crumbled bacon OR shaved ham

1 can chopped green chiles

2 cups grated cheese (can use any cheese you prefer but I make it with a mix of cheddar and monterey jack)

Place bread slices in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Mix first 4 ingredients together and pour over bread. Add cooked meat, chiles and cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Thanks Jules, sound yummy!!

I second!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I was at Doctors office today and the December issue of Rachel Ray magazine had a lot of breakfast casseroles in it, some were really diffrent.
Honored Contributor

My go-to breakfast casseroles have been either Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast, Apple French Toast, Panetone Bread Pudding w/Cinnamon Syrup (Giada DiLaurentis' recipe), and the typical ham (or sausage or bacon), egg, cheese, and bread variety that sits in the fridge overnight. However, we're trying to be gluten free as much as possible, and use less bread and sugar these days. I was introduced to Ortega Casserole about a year or so ago and it's become a fast favorite. That's what I'm planning to make for our Christmas breakfast. It goes together super fast in the morning and bakes for 45 mins.

Let me know if you want any recipes.