Trusted Contributor

Re: Make ahead Breakfast Casserole Recipes?

JeanLouiseFinch, please post your Ortega Casserole revipe. Thanks!!
Trusted Contributor

NaturalBornWoman, your Salmon or Ham Breakfast Casserole is different from any with which I am familiar. I plan to make this for a ladies' group Christmas brunch. Thanks so much for sharing it. It looks quite elegant…and delicious!!!
Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 vabreeze said: JeanLouiseFinch, please post your Ortega Casserole revipe. Thanks!!

Ortega Casserole

10 Eggs, beaten
1/2 Cup butter (real thing), melted
1/2 Cup flour (gluten free works)
1 Pt. Cottage Cheese
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 lb. Jack Cheese, grated (a Mexican Blend works too, if you can't find Jack)
8-12 oz. (would be 2-3 small cans) Diced Green Chilies

Preheat oven to 400°. Mix everything together and pour into a greased 9x13 glass or pottery baking dish. Bake in a 400° oven for 15 mins. Turn the temperature down to 350° and continue baking for 35 mins. Should be golden brown and "set" in the center when done.

Serve with guacamole, salsa, a Mexican style hot sauce like Tapatio, and sour cream on the side.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, JLF! This may be our Christmas breakfast, too!!!! Do you know whether proportionate reductions to the ingredients work for a smaller serving size? I would like to do a test run of it before including on THE day.
Esteemed Contributor

There are many excellent recipes on Pinterest for breakfast casseroles. Some are even done in crockpots. I have too many to print.

Honored Contributor

On 12/4/2014 vabreeze said: Thanks, JLF! This may be our Christmas breakfast, too!!!! Do you know whether proportionate reductions to the ingredients work for a smaller serving size? I would like to do a test run of it before including on THE day.

Honestly, I've never made a smaller one, but I think it would work. You'd just have to work on the baking time, keeping an eye on it since it would finish sooner. I don't know that you could actually cut that in half though. Usually I just make the bigger one and am delighted with leftovers for another breakfast or two for myself! I love this stuff!

Regular Contributor

On 11/28/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:

My aunt used to make this breakfast casserole and everyone always enjoyed it. It doesn't take long to prepare, and I'm not sure I would make it the night before because the bread would get soggy. If you had all the ingredients ready to put together the baking time is what takes the longest.

6 eggs, whipped

2 cups milk

1 tsp salt

Tobasco or hot sauce to taste (optional)

6 slices of bread

1 lb. fried sausage OR 8 to 10 slices of crumbled bacon OR shaved ham

1 can chopped green chiles

2 cups grated cheese (can use any cheese you prefer but I make it with a mix of cheddar and monterey jack)

Place bread slices in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Mix first 4 ingredients together and pour over bread. Add cooked meat, chiles and cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

This is definitely my go to breakfast make ahead. Always make it the day before. To make a larger one, use 3 cups of milk, 10 eggs, 8-10 slices of bread and more cheese. Bake 350 for an hour until set. 9x13 casserole dish. Leftovers are great microwaved.
Frequent Contributor

I usually do 2 for Christmas morning, with just a bit different ingredients. My family does not like the texture of the casseroles with a soggy bread inside. Both start with a bag of shredded hash browns, a dozen eggs, a half cup of milk, breakfast meat of choice, shredded cheese of choice and then can add any ingredients you like. Sautéed onion or green pepper, green chilies, mushrooms, etc. I usually make one with sausage and one with ham and vary the veggies and cheese. Pepper jack cheese is really good for a bit of zing. I make it in a 9 x 13 and mix together the night before in a bowl so the flavors can meld. Dump in the pan in the morning and bake while we open presents.
Respected Contributor

On 11/28/2014 AuntG said:

I make this five ingredient dish often. Open a tube of crescent rolls and press in bottom of greased 13x9 pan. Top with diced ham(or bacon, or cooked pork sausage). Sprinkle with 8 oz. of shredded cheese(whatever kind you like). Beat four eggs with 1/2 cup milk and pour on top. Bake at 350 for 22 minutes.

I just made this yesterday. It was good but needed something to bump up the flavor. Also, neither of us liked the crescent roll 'crust'. Next time, no crescent rolls and I'll add maybe green chili's or salsa or something.
Valued Contributor

On 11/28/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:
On 11/28/2014 luvitall said: The pioneer woman has an amazing recipe for overnight cinammon raisin bread French toast casserole...it is delicious!! I would post the link, but don't know how, lol...Google it and you will see it. My family went crazy over it, even the "picky" ones!

I saw that recipe and it did sound delicious. I've never made it but I love French toast and cinnamon raisin bread so I need to give that a try. Thanks for the reminder.

Yum! French toast anything is fab!