Esteemed Contributor

Make Cookies with a Boxed Cake Mix - Great for Summer or Any Time

Hi Everyone!

Backstory:  Husband goes to the store to buy a few things and comes home with 3 boxed cake mixes, as if he would ever make a cake using them.  They've been sitting in a kitchen cabinet for 6 months taking up room, so the other day I'm thinking our cookie-lovin' granddaughter needs new cookies and I just know that someone out in the ethernet has recipes.  I pulled the following because it was super easy and happened to use Duncan Hines, which is the only boxed cake mix I'll allow in our house, because it's "clean."  (I have lots of chemical migraine triggers, so must be conscious of boxed food ingredients.)  I've name the cookies "Happy Cookies," because of the festive look of them, with the sprinkles inside.  Also, you'll see that I've added notes in terms of asterisks and call them stars at the bottom.  Believe me, they were necessary, because the originator of the recipe provided no details whatsoever.  This is a fast, if sticky, recipe.  When I asked my granddaughter how many cookies she wanted to take home, she said, "Oma, I really want to take all of them home."  Usually, she knows her manners and will aske for 6 or 8 or half.  Then later, after she had gone to bed at home, her former pastry chef Mom (DD) calls me and raves about these cookies!  LOL!!!  She also asked for the recipe!!!  I told her to first get a grip, becuase she isn't going to believe the ingredients.  So, with all that said, here we go.  So many possibilities with this recipe, especially at Christmas.

Cake Mix Cookies – (Happy Cookies)

By “livewellbakeoften”

This recipe received 5 stars: 4.91 from 20 votes.

Servings:   22 (*see note at bottom) – Comments based on my 1st use. Recipe great for many personal alterations.  Total time: 15 minutes, if your oven can bake these in 10 min.

1 – 16.25 oz box cake mix **  [next time, I’m adding ¼ c cake flour]

1/3 cup oil

2 eggs room temp

3 Tbs sprinkles (like little logs)

[Confectioner’s Sugar]

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray large baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.  [I chose to use 2 cookie sheets to save time.]

In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the cake mix, oil and eggs.  Once combined, add the sprinkles.***

Using about 2, Tbs****  for each cookie, place rounded balls of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes.*****

Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet 10 minutes.  Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.  That's it.

1st star:   I ended up with 15 cookies, but made them more like 1.5 Tbs, when I realized her 2 Tbs was way out of whack.  Next time I’m going with one very generous tablespoon (a measuring tablespoon).

2nd star:  She used Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix.  I had on hand Duncan Hines Golden, so went with that.  Next time, Chocolate!

3rd star:  If using a chocolate cake mix, try adding 1 Tbs or 2 tsp espresso powder for a richer taste, plus chocolate sprinkles.  Huge Note:  This is the stickiest cookie dough you will ever handle (that’s why I’m adding ¼ c cake flour next time).  To make things easier, I dropped the glop into a bowl of powdered sugar and gently rolled it into a ball.  Made it so much easier.  If you have an eye dropper, place 2-3 small drops of water on top of this powdered sugar rolled cookie and you’ll get a great looking treat out of the oven.

4th star:  2Tbs way too much for each cookie.  Use a measuring Tbs and load it up. Perfect!

5th star:  In my LG electric oven, w/o fan, I had to bake these for 15 minutes.

(Rebecca XXX  08/14/19)

Valued Contributor

Re: Make Cookies with a Boxed Cake Mix - Great for Summer or Any Time

Thanks...I will definitely try this!

Respected Contributor

@sfnative    Your Happy Cookies sound really good, especially with the very helpful tips you included.  Thank you for posting this.  

Duncan  Hines is my favorite brand of the boxed mixes, too.  I watch for the sales and keep them on hand for "emergencies" so that I can doctor up to make them taste better. 

Sometimes family or friends forget to give a "heads up" that they need something baked and I can usually conjure up something acceptable.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 

Aside from the fact that the recipe's creator used Duncan Hines and my husband purchased 3 boxes of Duncan Hines, it's always been my choice boxed cake mix.  I've got a recipe for a Trifle that I make every Christmas and use the same Duncan Hines cake as the "cake" portion of the trifle.  Many people will opt for lady fingers, pound cake, chiffon cake, etc. - so many choices, but the DH cake is just right for absorbing the various liquids, without becoming mush, nor is it dry, like a pound cake, which I tried once.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About five years ago on my Pinterest came up a recipe for cookies from the Spice Cake mix.  I have been doing them every year at Christmas since.  Cake mix to cookies love it and always with ice cream.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 

Ooooooo.....As a teen I loved spice cake for some reason.  I think it was because every time I got to spend summer in Michigan, my grandmother would make it from scratch and it was so good.

I'll have to make it a point to find a box and make cookies.  I can see making a batch, plus filling and making sandwich cookies with them.  Yum!

Esteemed Contributor

The mother of my best friend in high school (mid to late 70's)  used to make all sorts of cookies with Boxed Cake Mixes.  The one I recall the most was a Butter Pecan cookie.  I'm not much of a cookie eater but I remember those being soooo good and extremely moist.  I'm not sure where she came up with the idea or if she had recipes but this was about the only way I remember her making cookies.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

The mother of my best friend in high school (mid to late 70's)  used to make all sorts of cookies with Boxed Cake Mixes.  The one I recall the most was a Butter Pecan cookie.  I'm not much of a cookie eater but I remember those being soooo good and extremely moist.  I'm not sure where she came up with the idea or if she had recipes but this was about the only way I remember her making cookies.

@shoptilyadropagain 

Oh my, that Butter Pecan sounds terrific!  I love anything pecan and so does my SIL.  Think I'll do a little research to see if I can come up with something do-able.  Thanks so much for bring this yummy sounding cookie into the discussion.

Honored Contributor

Recently I have been making a similar recipe with Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix.  Mine calls for the cake mix, 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.      Mix and bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes.                 (I find they spread a lot.  I also omit the nuts)    

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Recently I have been making a similar recipe with Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix.  Mine calls for the cake mix, 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.      Mix and bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes.                 (I find they spread a lot.  I also omit the nuts)    

@Daysdee 

I'm so glad you shared your chocolate cookie recipe with us.

Because I used use the basic cake/cookie batter with only sprinkles, the cookies weren't heavy.  I'm wondering how the cake/cookie batter held up to the addition of the chips and walnuts.  Could you share about the texture and loft of your cookies?  Thanks!