Esteemed Contributor

Make -Ahead Breakfast Casserole

This is a Mr. Foods recipe, I signed up for the daily newsletter, it is filled with quite a few recipes, that are easy and delicious (most of them anyway)

Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole

6 Frozen Waffles, cut into 1 inch cubes (the size of Eggo Waffles, round)

9.6 Ounce package frozen sausage crumbles (we used Jimmy Dean)

1 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided

6 Eggs

1 1/4 Cups Milk

1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit due to dietary restrictions)

Maple Syrup (optional)

Coat an 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Layer half of waffles on bottom of prepared pan.  Top with half of sausage sprinkled and 1/2 cup of cheese.  Repeat layer.

In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and salt until combined.  Pour egg mixture evenly over waffle mixture.

Cover baking dish with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake 45-50 minutes or until eggs are set in center.  Drizzle with syrup and serve,

OOH its so Good

Honored Contributor

Re: Make -Ahead Breakfast Casserole

I'm glad that's something you like.  I have seen many breakfast casseroles in my time in books.  I've never had occasion to need or use one.  Wish I had a huge family and home for one day a year, with a huge kitchen, so I could do that.  Just one day a year.  Enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

Ooh it's so good.

I loved Mr Food. I have several of his cook books.

This sounds easy & tasty.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears

Great timing!  I'm making something for an early morning meeting at school tomorrow.  I was going to make scones, but I'm thinking this would be excellent. We will be 8 people, so I suppose I should make two of them?

Also, if I bake it at home in the morning and cut them into squares, do you think they'll reheat well in the microwave?

ETA:  I'm thinking maybe it's not suitable for cutting into squares. The microwave I have at school is small, but if I make two 8 inch squares of this and heat them separately it should work?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I found this photo of it... I think my coworkers will appreciate this tomorrow morning.  Thank you @CareBears

Make-Ahead-Breakfast-Casserole_Large600_ID-1449306.jpg

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  My husband works some crazy hours so when he is home in the mornings or has off, I like to start off with a breakfast casserole so he has something hearty and warm to keep his energy up as his job is a very physical one!

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat I have several breakfast casseriole recipes, and they have pretty much all re-heated very well, I cannot imagine why this one wojuld not, we will see in the morning, when we reheat it for breakfast, enjoy that is so nice of you to bring something for your co-workers!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a French Toast/Bread Pudding type casserole using day old or stale croissants.

For every 1 large torn up croissant, I use 1 egg, 1/4 c. milk, 1 tablespoon of plain greek yogurt, a tablespoon of white sugar, a splash of vanilla and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

I'll normally do 6 croissants, in a 9x9 pan. 

Grease the pan, tear up the croissants, pour the custard over it and let it sit in the fridge a few hours (overnight is better) before baking it in a preheated 350 degree oven until the custard is set, about 35-45 minutes.

When I don't have plain yogurt, I have used banana or vanilla yogurt.

Leftovers heat up well in the microwave.

Valued Contributor

This dish sounds very good. I have made all kinds of breakfast casseroles-some have hasbrowns in them, some don't. some have just bread, eggs & cheese but they all reheat very well in the microwave. I have even reheated the breakfast croissant sandwiches from a fast food place and they warm up great.

I am thinking I will make this recipe as I love breakfast, and then I have leftovers for lunch at the office. Thanks for posting!

cookin

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of breakfast casseroles but this looks interesting.  I am definitely going to give it a try.