Respected Contributor

Made my first ham.

[ Edited ]

Home alone as usual. Bought the Smithfield 1/2 spiral cut ham ( or whatever some call it)  slightly under 5 pounds and at a great price. $16 at hy-vee and came with honey glaze.

I could not believe how simple it was. Cooked for 25 minutes with foil. removed foil  and added glaze  and cooked for another 25 minutes.  I wish I added 10 minutes to the cooking time but it turned out good!  It was such a good value for it was all meat. Very little fat!  Very little mess!  I am so proud that I cooked this and did not ruin it.

I be  eating ham for luch and dinner all week I bet

25994687_10210405639407695_3702549557429929098_n (1).jpg

Respected Contributor

Looks delicious. Have great New Year

Super Contributor

@kcladyz  That looks wonderful and delicious. You can wrap up some slices in foil, place in a freezer proof bag or bowl and save for later meals. Cooked ham can stay in the freezer for 2 months. I'd also scramble some in eggs. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Honored Contributor

You can do so much with cooked ham.  I like to get the Betty Crocker Potatoes Au Gratin, add ham, bake and eat with a salad.  If youre alone, this will make 3-4 meals and can be frozen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I would do with eggs several ways (I like omelettes), with scalloped potatoes, sandwiches cold and grilled (love grilled ham and cheese on rye), with cooked cabbage and carrots, etc.   When my family was home a big ham didn't last long.  Now I am a widow I buy a big slice at a time for most options unless I cook for more.

Respected Contributor

I never freeze cook food.  Some how it does not taste the same. Ill be eating ham lunch and dinner tuesday and wendsday  and ham sandwich tonight and thursday

Honored Contributor

I think ham has many more uses thank turkey, so you can make main dishes and side dishes, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Looks great. 

I'm not a big ham person, I will eat it at other people's houses, but wouldn't be able to eat a lot of it.  Wegmans sells a large slice that I have bought for recipes.  It's just enough when you need it for a recipe.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I would do with eggs several ways (I like omelettes), with scalloped potatoes, sandwiches cold and grilled (love grilled ham and cheese on rye), with cooked cabbage and carrots, etc.   When my family was home a big ham didn't last long.  Now I am a widow I buy a big slice at a time for most options unless I cook for more.

Good  idea next time I will think in advance and get some eggs, scalloped potatoes

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz ooooooooooooh that looks DELICIOUS!! Good job Smiley Very Happy

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

Looks fantastic! I live alone and I cooked a turkey breast for the first time last week. Sadly, it was awful!! It so bad that I couldn’t eat it. Cats didn’t want it, either. 😂