Honored Contributor

Made a major change in the kitchen

I have decided not to do anymore baking, no more breads, cakes, brownies, etc.  So I pitched all the flour and sugars, etc.  He shouldn't eat the sugar and neither should I.  I got no uproar from him and I thought I would.  We just don't need it in our lives at this point.  I am so glad for this decision and that he didn't raise cain.  He has a real sweet tooth, but he knows that the sugary stuff has to be less.

Has anyone else done this major turn?  For me, it was major since I like to bake.

I'll bake meals, just not the sweets.

Respected Contributor

Re: Made a major change in the kitchen

[ Edited ]

The only sugar I have in the house is a box of individual Domino sugar packets, which hardly get used unless a visitor wants sugar in a cup of coffee, or I want to add a teaspoon or two of sugar to an acidic tomato-based sauce.

.  I don't eat sweets, haven't baked cakes or pies or cookies in years.  DH has the sweet tooth, but he shops and buys his own junk.  I don't contribute to his  desire in that regard.  He comes home with enough sugary stuff on his own. 

Honored Contributor

I'm jealous

I have a wicked sweet tooth.

My grandfather and mother were bakers.

I love to bake and of course eat my baked goods.

I am truly addicted

@qualitygal

Honored Contributor

We already made changes by not eating large meals. 

I'm not giving up chocolate. LOL!!! I'm addicted to it & I will admit it.

Just ate 2 Russell Stover Milk Chocolate Coconut Clusters.

Also bought 2 more bags of King Arthur Bread Flour.

At least I don't eat fritos, cheetos, tortilla chips, doritos etc. I do eat a few potato chips here & there.

I just lost 8 lbs. I have lost weight now that my clothes look horrible. Looks like I have on dookie drawers. LOL!!! I hate shopping for clothes so still wearing baggy clothes. My pants drag the ground now they are so loose.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  Yea!!! Major progress:  sugar, salt, oil, processed food out the window and big steps towards health.  Think about releasing meat/dairy as your next step....whole foods plant based changes your life.  If hubby balks, there is a lot of research based information and documentaries from well known/highly respected medical doctors that give the beneficial evidence of a plant based lifestyle.  Even Kaiser is promoting this way of life.  There are a boatload of yummy recipes and tons of information on the internet. You just took your first step.  Best wishes for an exciting journey towards health!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I made that decision a few years ago.  It started with losing 50lbs and after that I focused not on just weight but health.  The sugar and fat and unhealthy carbs had to go.  It was hard for me because I had sweet tooth; heck I had a mouth full of sweet teeth.  But every time I thought about cookies or cake or a pan of brownies, I thought about Type 2 Diabetes which so many of my friends and family members are struggling with and eating better didn't seem so hard.  I do relax and endulge but a few times a year on my birthday and the major holidays.   It's hard in the beginning but it gets easier as time goes on and becomes second nature.  

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

We already made changes by not eating large meals. 

I'm not giving up chocolate. LOL!!! I'm addicted to it & I will admit it.

Just ate 2 Russell Stover Milk Chocolate Coconut Clusters.

Also bought 2 more bags of King Arthur Bread Flour.

At least I don't eat fritos, cheetos, tortilla chips, doritos etc. I do eat a few potato chips here & there.

I just lost 8 lbs. I have lost weight now that my clothes look horrible. Looks like I have on dookie drawers. LOL!!! I hate shopping for clothes so still wearing baggy clothes. My pants drag the ground now they are so loose.

OMG....I laughed so hard at “Dookie Drawers”.....I have a few extra pounds hanging on since I had my knee replacement surgery and I’m wearing Dookie Drawers too....thanks for the laugh.😊😊

Esteemed Contributor

I  love to bake and will never give that up.  Even though we don't eat too many sweets, I take my baked goods to my art class and to the balance classes that I teach. That way, I might have a bite and leave a sample for DH, but most of it goes to people who really enjoy it.  I get to continue baking and others get to eat my baked goods.  Win win.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal@Nightowlz@grandma petes@chrystaltree@phoenixbrd

Yes, a number of years ago I voted myself off kitchen duty all together. I was teaching.  DH had retired and I just did not want to mess with it any more.

He eats Whole Foods cooked items. I eat a baked potato for dinner and a baked potato for lunch.

HAHA LOL...”dookie drawers!”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

This thread has made me want bread, cakes, and brownies!!