Esteemed Contributor

Made A New Snow Storm Recipe

[ Edited ]

I usually make chicken noodle soup, but today I made ATK's Chicken Stew. SO GOOD! I don't have a subscription to ATK, but Hip Foodie Mom has it. I added mushrooms, green beans and peas. As usual for ATK, there are a lot of steps, but totally worth it!

https://hipfoodiemom.com/2014/11/05/best-chicken-stew/

Do you have a favorite snow or rain storm recipe? Since we are expecting 15 inches, I might have time to make something else.

* Oh, by the way. DON'T "discard" the chicken wings!

Respected Contributor

Re: Made A New Snow Storm Recipe

What is ATK?

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

What is ATK?

@Ladybug724  Oh, sorry. America's Test Kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Thanks!Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

My family has already asked for this. It was our traditional snow day/home from school meal:

Croque Monsieur (makes 4)

Bechamel sauce

1 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 Tbsp. flour

3/4 c. milk

pinch of cayenne pepper

salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is golden brown. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off heat and add cayenne, and if needed, salt and pepper. Set aside. 

8 slices French or sourdough bread, sliced thickly

1/4 c. oil

3 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/4 lb. Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly

8 slices deli ham

Preheat panini grill. Spread Dijon on 4 of the bread slices and top with 2 slices of ham. Spread the sauce evenly on top of the ham. Layer cheese on top and top with another slice of bread. Oil both outer sides of sandwich and cook on panini press about 5 minutes until sandwich is golden and crispy.

For a Croque Madame, add a fried egg to top of sandwich! (DD likes it this way - I do too!)

(I always double the recipe for the sauce, as we all like extra to dip our sandwiches in!)  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My neighbor crashed her computer looking up Chicken Noodle Soup recipes. When her grandson got it up and running, he told her it was because everyone was doing the same thing with the big snowstorm coming. She actually believed him!