Esteemed Contributor

Macaroni and cheese questions

What is your favorite shape of macaroni to use?

What cheeses do you prefer to use?

Feel free to post more than one if you have a really special one you love but don't fix that often!

Valued Contributor

Re: Macaroni and cheese questions

We are very traditional and use elbows and very sharp cheddar.

Respected Contributor

I use the large elbows and medium cheddar.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I use the small elbow macaroni  I like to use a mixture of sharp cheddar, Swiss and a bit of Velveeta. 

Regular Contributor

We use all sorts of pasta for ours. When we are shopping we just look at different shapes and find some neat ones.

We use mostly Mozarella and Colby cheeses. Very yummy

Honored Contributor

I make a white sauce, add some grated cheese (often a medium cheddar) add small or medium shells or elbow if that's all I have.  I serve it right out of the pot.

Neither of us are really fond of it but we make it about every five years!  LOL!!   To me it is all sort of sticky and gummy.  I don't like mashed potatoes either for the same reason.

I must be one in a zillion because everyone seems so wild about both dishes!  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

I always choose one without the Happy Dance. Otherwise, the size and/or shape doesn't really matter. 

Honored Contributor

I like to use small shells or elbows. I use sharp cheddar some jack and mozzarella to make it stringy- what's mac & ch if it isn't stringy?

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Mac & Cheese - macaroni and cheddar. My question is how to keep it all creamy! Hubby and I are retired so we don't have sit-down dinners. My mac & cheese can sit on the stove and becomes dry after 30 minutes, even with milk and a little butter. Leftovers always require more milk and cheese. Maybe this dish just needs to be eaten as soon as it's prepared and forget about leftovers! Anyone else have this problem?

Honored Contributor

@Jannabelle wrote:

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Mac & Cheese - macaroni and cheddar. My question is how to keep it all creamy! Hubby and I are retired so we don't have sit-down dinners. My mac & cheese can sit on the stove and becomes dry after 30 minutes, even with milk and a little butter. Leftovers always require more milk and cheese. Maybe this dish just needs to be eaten as soon as it's prepared and forget about leftovers! Anyone else have this problem?

@jannabelle1 I'm thinking maybe it's because pasta itself is involved.  I too experience dry leftover mac and cheese but the other day I brought home pasta from a lunch I attended that was swimming in sauce and then was rather dry when I went to reheat it.