Honored Contributor

Re: Macaroni Salad... Mayo or Miracle.. Sweet or Dill?

Mayo, apple cider vinegar and sugar. NO pickles of any type.

Honored Contributor

mayo and dill.......never ever miracle whip and never ever sweet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Kraft light mayo, lemon juice and freshly ground pepper 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

This topic is always interesting to me.  My DM always used Miracle Whip in her potato salad, mac salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, deviled eggs, etc.   I guess i didn't eat real mayo until a lady at church who made curry dip and was delicious.  When I followed her recipe using MW instead of mayo, well the difference hit you in the face.   I think some recipes are better with MW and some are better with mayo.  I used to use Hellmans until the St. Louis area started advertising Dukes and DH said that was the brand his mother ( a Maryland resident) always used.   I tried it once and didn't care for it-too eggy and blah as I always though mayo tasted but when I went back to Hellman's, it tasted slimy.  It has been Dukes since then.  Sometimes when we are in the South, we use Blue Plate which to me is close in taste and texture to Dukes.  But there are days that MW is the choice.   I think it will take some playing with to find what is the best fit for your recipe and family.

Esteemed Contributor

Only Hellman’s Mayo in my Macaroni Salad !!!!!!

Super Contributor

Definitely Miracle Whip.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't stand mayo so it's only Miracle Whip for me and as for the pickles....either one.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Very interesting.....what works for some doesn't for others.  I use both now for different things.  I grew up on Miracle Whip.  My mother, who was a very good cook, always made potato salad with Miracle Whip.  Later in life, she started using half of Miracle Whip and half Mayo which I do as well or all Mayo for potato salad.

One thing I have found, although some "lite" products are good, I do not like lite salad dressings (mayo/MW) and lite dairy products in my recipes.  

Thanks for all tips and suggestions here....always like to change things up a bit instead of "same 'ol, same 'ol"....never know if you don't try, eh?  

Honored Contributor

I am more on the savory with just a touch of sweet for those type of salads. But wouldn't use  sweet pickles except in a tuna salad 

Respected Contributor

I have no preference to Mayo or Miracle Whip, either will work.  But I HATE sweet relish, only use dill !!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it