Honored Contributor
I could not even bring myself to make this! The only thing in the recipe that isn’t all fat is the pasta!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I never thought about putting alfredo sauce in for mac n cheese---I like soupy, gooey, moist m-n-c---mine is always too dry----don't eat it much tho--hubs would love it alot more but he doen't need all that either. Anyone put white sauce in their recipe? would love to hear from you

@wagirl 

Here is a recipe that uses a roux (white sauce).  You DO NOT have to have a smoker.

You can bake it or just serve it fresh upon completion!

https://www.mastercook.com/app/recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=1645891

He used to demonstate it on Q when he presented the Masterbuilt Smoker.

Respected Contributor

More (cheese) is not always better - just 'more' expensive. I've made mac and cheese both ways - lots of cheese vs less cheese...the extra expense isn't worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 

Oh you absolutley could sub lower/no fat in a recipe.  Great point!!!!

There is a site called Skinnytaste and her recipes are all lower content of fats etc.

I personally don't care for the taste or melting properties of lower/no fat items.  I also don't like that some have additives.

...low-fat cheese can be "a highly processed food." Unhealthy additions include acids, emulsifiers, thickeners, stabilisers, gums and other non-dairy ingredients...

Since we only have M&C about 3x a year, I prefer to use real cheeses. 

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife   I agree with you.  If I am going to eat Macaroni and Cheese I want the real thing.  Low fat cheese, mayonnaise and so forth just don't perform well, or tantalize my taste buds. 

I can understand people using low fat, low salt, low sugar, etc., if they have to for dietary or health needs, but fortunately I don't fall into any of those those categories.  If anything, I am underweight and have been all my life.

I do limit my salt intake because to me a little enhances flavor and too much overwhelms some recipes.  I prefer that people eating my food add more to their servings if they wish to.

aroc3435

Washington, DC