Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Someone posted almost the exact recipe here on the Q Recipe forum several years ago.

The food police were all over it!

I have made it for special events and it is FABULOUS!

Everyone asks for the recipe.  No paddles needed if you eat on occasion and in moderation!

People will comment about the amount of fat and other higher-fat ingredients in recipes, but I'm guessing that they don't think of possibly substituting lower-fat ingredients for the higher-fat ones when cooking?

It's fairly easy to do if one still wants to do it.

I'm just referencing your post in general, but my comments are not directed at you specifically. Heart

If someone wanted to, they could use lower/reduced-fat cheeses, for example, and use lighter cream instead of heavy cream, and so on.

I do it when I make homemade mac. and cheese.

I use lower-fat substitutions and we don't notice a difference in taste with the recipe that I use in particular, but then I have been using skim milk and have been eating lower-sodium for a long time. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3---makes prefect sense--I did that very thing for years and the end product was generally ok----not great, but passable. Now If I want to eat/prepare any of the things that are full fat ---I do and I use the real things in them---I just don't eat the whole thing. Moderation is the word!!!

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Toppers3---makes prefect sense--I did that very thing for years and the end product was generally ok----not great, but passable. Now If I want to eat/prepare any of the things that are full fat ---I do and I use the real things in them---I just don't eat the whole thing. Moderation is the word!!!

I feel the same way when it comes to "splurging" about certain kinds of meals. 

I cook/prepare meals for us at home primarily, but sometimes I would like to eat out and not have to worry about what I'm preparing, at times.

There are those times that I would like to eat that luscious pasta that I didn't make, or that yummy cheesy mac. and cheese that I didn't make, either! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor
Does t even sound good to me with that much cheese!
Respected Contributor

INA GARTEN has an amazing Mac n Cheese recipe made with Gruyere and Cheddar.  I've made it several times and everyone LOVES it.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 ...........I so agree with you.  There is always some one to spoil everything.  Mention bacon and they have a tizzy.  Moderation is the key word.  I would hate to spend the rest of my life not eating on occasion something rich and fattening.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Occasional Contributor

Looks yum, but I only counted 5 cheeses! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Ellen Dunning Welcome to the forum, Ellen Dunning.  

Maybe the other cheeses are in the Italian Cheese mix referenced in the recipe.  Maybe has fontanella, asiago, and fontina, would be my first guess off the top of my head.

Regards, and hope you will continue to participate,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Mac and cheese has been a favorite food since I was a child, but the older I get, the less cheese I eat.

I prefer to keep mac and cheese simple with colby, and don't have it very often.   I am not interested in eating anything with a lot of different cheeses on, or in it.   

Honored Contributor
I can’t even think of 8 cheeses I would want in macaroni!