Respected Contributor

Would anyone be so kind as to share their ''tried and true'' best ever mac and cheese recipe?  Mine seems to have disappeared.  Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese recipe ????

@sarahpanda  The best I ever made was Fannie Farmers Macaroni & Cheese.  Do a search online for it.  I  add about a fourth of  a cup of sour cream before spreading in baking dish also.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1 lb elbow macaroni, completely cooked and drained

5 tbsp butter

6 tbsp flour

1 1/2 tsp powdered mustard

5 cups milk

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

1 tsp salt

Heat butter until foamy in big saucepan.  Whisk in flour and mustard over medium heat for a minute.  Slowly pour in milk and whisk while bringing to boil to thicken.  Simmer until thickened to heavy cream texture, whisking occasionally.  Take off heat and whisk in cheese a handful at a time until smoothly melted.  Whisk in salt.  Stir in macaroni over medium-low heat until heated through.    

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda 

Classic Mac and Cheese

It's crucial to cook the pasta until tender--just past the "al dente" stage. In fact, overcooking is better than undercooking the pasta. Whole, low- fat, and skim milk all work well in this recipe. The recipe can be halved and baked in an 8-inch-square, broilersafe baking dish. If desired, offer celery salt or hot sauce (such as Tabasco) for sprinkling at the table.

INGREDIENTS

For the Bread Crumb Topping (this is optional,( I use canned Progresso breadcrumbs):
6 slices of white sandwich bread (good-quality, about 6 ounces), torn into rough pieces 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), cut into 6 pieces

For the Pasta and Cheese:
pound elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon table salt ( I use Kosher Salt)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
5 cups milk 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded (2 cups)
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded (2 cups) (use Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp)
1 teaspoon table salt

FOR THE BREAD CRUMBS:
Please note alternate! Pulse bread and butter in food processor until crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch, ten to fifteen 1-second pulses. Set aside. NOTE: I just use Progresso Italian Style bread crumbs mixed with 3 tablespoons of melted butter.

Directions::
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler (you can wait to do this until you have the prepared mac and cheese in the pan). Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until pasta is tender. Drain pasta and set aside in colander. In now-empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour, mustard, and cayenne (if using) and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly (mixture must reach full boil to fully thicken). Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt until cheeses are fully melted. Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes. Transfer mixture to broiler-safe 9-by 13-inch baking dish and sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Broil until crumbs are deep golden brown, 3 to 5 min.

Respected Contributor

I say over and over again that I don't like mac and cheese BUT,  I love Fleming's Chiptole Cheddar Mac and Cheese (google).  It is the real thing.  It is served at every holiday meal we have.

Honored Contributor

ECBG

The Oh! My! Mac and Cheese [ Edited ] 

Tried a new recipe on my family I had tasted at a Christmas party and almost swooned over!  Doubled, it will fit a 9 x 13.  One recipe does a

9 x 9.

Reheats like a dream!  I loved it so, I took it home in a baggie!!!

Our four year old grandson ate it and shook his head and said "this is delicious!" THREE times!

4 C hot small macaroni noodles (8 oz uncooked)

2 C (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 C cottage cheese

3/4 C sour cream

1/2 C milk 

2 Tbsp grated fresh onion

1  1/2 tsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Cooking Spray

Topping

1/4 C dry bread crumbs

1 Tbsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp paprika  (optional for extra flaver)

2 C shredded sharp cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first 10 ingredients, stir well.

Pour into sprayed casserole.

Spread 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese over top of casserole.

Mix butter, breadcrumbs, and paprika

Spread on top of casserole

Cover with foil.

Bake 350 for 45 minutes.

Uncover and bake 10 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.

Six one cup servings

Hope you enjoy!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

The best I ever made was Delilah's 7 cheese mac and cheese.  It was a huge hit with everyone.  She beat Bobby Flay on the show Throwdown with Bobby Flay.

Honored Contributor

There are some recipes posted here from the 2nd of Nov.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Mac-and-cheese-recipe-needed/m-p/5821785#M126473

Esteemed Contributor

I just made this yesterday....w/ no fuss at all:

Block of intense cheddar and block of Gruyere, which I shredded. Butter & light cream.

Drain cooked pasta, al dente, add cheese, melted butter and cream to consistency you like.