Honored Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese? I should know this....

I've never bought a package of it before either (not bragging, just saying I've never fixed it.

I've also never eaten a pot pie before.  I fixed them for my late husband for many years (especially when we were young and he was working 2 jobs and going to school).

Trusted Contributor

Sounds good.
Esteemed Contributor

I make my mac n cheese about 4 to 5 times a year. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and birthdays of my husband and daughter. When I make mac n cheese (and I have tested this for a good 10 yrs before I got it right) it almost has to look soupy once I put the pasta in and before i put it in the oven for it to come out creamy. I make a roux with butter and flour and then add the half and half and all of the cheeses I use. I use cheddar, good mozz, gruyere, and whatever else I am in the mood for but I always add at least 4 oz of Velveeta. I am not a processed cheese person but this helps the consistency. I add dry mustard, nutmeg and a bit of cayenne. It doesn't make it hot or spicy it just gives it a little boost. I also only add about 2 T of flour for the roux. When you are using that much cheese, you just don't need that much flour for it to set up.

I don't really go by a recipe but I make sure once I add the pasta it does look a little soupy. If it doesn't I add a little more milk or half and half. I have made it when it looked so soupy it doesn't look like it will possibly set up but it does and the last time I made it, it looked so soupy I thought I may have ruined it but it turned out the best. 

When I watch cooking shows they never IMO put enough milk in there. While it may be ok for the initial serving, if you are reheating it, it most definitely will be very dry. Since we eat most of the mac and cheese as leftovers, you really want to make sure you have enough milk in there. 

I also think it is really important to only cook the elbow pasta for 4-5 min in boiling water. You are baking it for about 45 or more min so if you cook according to package, it gets way too mushy. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Add me to the list of those who do not like/love mac and cheese.  DM didn't like it so she never fixed it and I always passed it up at family reunions because I was raised to think it wasn't good.  My entire family loves it but me, but I have been on the quest to find "The" recipe for mac and cheese for them.  Instead of baking it, DH smokes it in the smoker which is the preferred "recipe" no matter how I make it, for the rest of the family.   Rarely are there leftovers.

Esteemed Contributor

I love mac and cheese, but I am the only one in my family who does.  I think that I could eat it every day; and when I make it myself, I bake it with about four cheeses and a bechamel sauce.  However, since calories unfortunately count, quite often I have Lean Cuisine Marketplace Vermont White Cheddar.  It comes in family size and single size, and it tastes good.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!