Trusted Contributor

Re: MUSTARD-ONION BEEF ROAST IN FOIL

Any suggestions on what I could substitute for the soy sauce? My son is allergic to soy. 

Honored Contributor

Vamp, I looked around to see what a good substitute for soy sauce would be and found this recipe (it's on quite a few sites including Allrecipes):

Whether you've run out of soy sauce or avoid it for health reasons, this homemade sauce is the perfect soy sauce substitute. It's quick and easy to make and gives you that familiar taste you're looking for.
Recipe type: Condiment
Serves: 1 cup
Ingredients
  • 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 pinch white pepper
  • 1 pinch garlic powder
  • 1½ cups organic beef broth or chicken broth
  • salt, to taste (if needed)

Instructions
  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together all of the ingredients, except salt. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil gently until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, for about 15 minutes.
  2. Taste sauce and season as needed with sea salt, until desired saltiness is reached.
  3. Store the sauce tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to one week. Shake before using.

Notes
Use as a substitute for Soy Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce. This sauce also makes a great "stir-fry" sauce when thickened with a little arrowroot or corn starch.

Not sure if this helps but thought I would pass it along.
Respected Contributor

Vamp--

I wish I had a good answer to your question. You got what looks like a good alternative in mtc's posting. 

Here's the only advice I can offer........... What this recipe does and what you would be doing is basically just braising a chuck roast in some sort of liquid for an extended cooking period, to make it tender and easy to eat.

This can be done on a stove or in an oven  in a tight-fitting lidded pan, or tightly wrapped in foil in the oven,  with many different types of ingredients, such as beef broth, tomatoes (canned or fresh), onions, celery, carrots, garlic and any types of herbs or seasonings which suit your taste.

The lengthy braising of the meat in some sort of added moisture is the important thing to do---how you make it taste is up to you, determined by what you add to the meat.